Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer told me I need to have this replaced. Keyfobs inoperable, Rear windshield wiper as well. I told him I'd do it myself...I know you have to reprogram the remotes for keyless entry is there other reprogramming that needs to be done. And if so is there anywhere I can take it besides the dealer. Thanks Joe

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,497 Posts
You will need the Liftgate Module programmed once you put the new one in; but unfortunately I don't think anyone but the dealer can do it for you :yes:

Welcome to the site...please click edit profile under user CP & fill out some info for us :yes:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,220 Posts
I would check the ground from the module plug back to the body first. Seems I recall a bad ground on someone's was causing similar problems ..no wiper and RKE receiver in the LGM not working.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies ...i was afraid of that...having it replaced by the dealer is going to cost me over $400....Now I'm thinking of going and getting an aftermarket keyless entry system with remote start runing a special for $300 installed...the only thing that I notice not working besides the keyfob, and radio shutting off is the rear wiper....i can live without that. I guess the only tricky thing is the rear liftgate locking mechanism....I'll have to ask the installation pros about that one

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,497 Posts
Bypassing this module is not recommended :nono: This module is expected to communicate with the rest of the on-board computers and removing it from the serial line could cause indicator lights to remain on and possibly communication errors between other modules :duh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did check those fuses they are good.

prosphoto ...I didn't think about that...however right now it is not operational and everything is working fine on the car. The lock/unlock mechanisms work fine via the door switch..I do appreciate the concern before I do anything I will inquire with the aftermarket installer exactly what is going on before I proceed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RayVoy Thanks for pointing out that thread..

I brought it to the dealer and he said LGM was bad ...not sure I trust him after reading this thread.
Let me tell you what doesn't work
1. Rear Wiper
2. Radio Shuts off immediately
3. Rear Tailgate locks do not work via door switch nor safety feature for glass and gate.
4. Rear defog seems to work ...when I hit the switch indicator light turns on...however I cannot verify if it is actually functioning because there is no fog on rear glass at this time.

Could this truly be the LGM or a bad common somewhere

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
RayVoy Thanks for pointing out that thread..

4. Rear defog seems to work ...when I hit the switch indicator light turns on...however I cannot verify if it is actually functioning because there is no fog on rear glass at this time.
I don't know if this would work or not, find a cool shaded area, and mist the glass, Then turn on the defogger, u should see the glass dry along the heater lines.

One other thing to check the common ground theory, see if ur license plate lights work.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,220 Posts
One other thing to check the common ground theory, see if ur license plate lights work.
Yep absolutely... that's another thing that fails if the liftgate ground is open :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
I replaced mine myself and saved some money. The total bill was right around $200. Installation was simple, just pop off the trim on the inside of the liftgate and swap out the LGM. Only one catch: once you switch the modules the new one will look for a new code until you get it reprogrammed......meaning you'll have a dead battery in the morning...

Heres some more info:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22112

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info rg567...I was wondering if you could give me the part number for the LGM and where you purchased yours?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an LGM part no 15869971 is this the correct part number for a 2002 slt envoy 4x4.
I'm hoping I can just swap them out reprogram the fobs and be done...is this a fair assumption...

Thanks guys

Joe

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
16 Posts
I just got same part from dealer. It needs dealer programming, only mine could not be programmed. Dealer needs to call GM tech assistance to figure out what was wring. Good luck!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay here is the update hope everyone will find this helpful

Took Envoy to dealer they said I had a broken wire in the tailgate which they fixed...PROBLEM SOLVED! A few weeks later same symptoms...I took it back to dealer because they guarantee their work for so many months or miles...I was well within that range....They now tell me it is the liftgate module that is bad and would have to be replaced was going to come up around $400 which is when this thread started....I complained and told them they didn't fix it right the first time and I shouldn't have to pay...at any rate I told them not to fix it...I found a replacement module for around 100 bucks here locally...now I just needed someone to program it. This is where it gets interesting...I was lucky enough to befriend a GM mechanic took my Voy to his dealership swapped LGMs turns out after running diagnostics through his computer that the new LGM was not being seen by the computer. After further investigation found that the wire that was origially fixed at the other dealer split at the same spot...respliced and soldered and the old LGM still works PROBLEM SOLVED...sounds like to me they didn't want to admit they messed up their original wire repair blamed it on something else so that I can pay again. This really pisses me off....It was the orange wire that broke twice.
Moral of this story...check your wiring especially in the boot where the trunk opens and closes. He explained to me that extreme heat and I'm assuming cold along with opening and closing of the trunk wears the wires down. He also told me that the metal connectors inside the male and female plugs get spread apart and can cause intermittent failure as well. I have lost all faith in honest dealership repairs.

on a separate note

THE LGM MUST BE REPROGRAMMED BY THE DEALER IF IT IS TO BE REPLACED> IT IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY...

I didn't have to do that since my orignal one still works...I guess the bright side of the story is I have a brand new LGM in case the old one actually breaks...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue here

I replaced mine myself and saved some money. The total bill was right around $200. Installation was simple, just pop off the trim on the inside of the liftgate and swap out the LGM. Only one catch: once you switch the modules the new one will look for a new code until you get it reprogrammed......meaning you'll have a dead battery in the morning...

So what you're saying is that even if I buy and replace the LGM on my own, I'd still have to go to a dealer and pay for reprogramming it? Any idea how much would a dealer charge for it?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts