Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the last couple of weeks after driving for ~30 minutes, my 2002 Envoy's RPM's start running high, when I begin accelerating and it seems to have NO power (Like it just won't go like normal.) Worse when traveling up hill. Plus it has a "jet" sound or a sound like a large truck is beside me. Any thoughts. :weird:

Also Friday when I drove home from work and it began doing this, the temp began rising quickly.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
sounds like a typical fan clutch failure to me. You need an updated fan clutch with an updated PCM flash from the dealer or any mechanic with a tech II

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek: Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it, but $700 isn't what I was hoping for. My husband had arm surgery after a broken arm and has limited range of motion due to plates/screws, so I am going to be forced to take it to the shop. I may run it by my handy 23 year old son and see if he can do it. :D

Thanks again! This is the first time I have used this site and had no idea how to do it, but it has been easy and really appreciate the information!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
260 Posts
In the last couple of weeks after driving for ~30 minutes, my 2002 Envoy's RPM's start running high, when I begin accelerating and it seems to have NO power (Like it just won't go like normal.) Worse when traveling up hill. Plus it has a "jet" sound or a sound like a large truck is beside me. Any thoughts. :weird:

Also Friday when I drove home from work and it began doing this, the temp began rising quickly.
THANK YOU!!!!
This is what my TB is doing, and of course the shop cannot duplicate the problem. I am under warranty so I will hopefully get mine fixed.
One question though, will it harm anything if I don't get it fixed right away? I have been back and forth to the shop with it 3 time in the last month(quite inconvinient) for a rattle underneath(not sure if it is fixed yet), and I just don't want to have it back in the shop for a while.
This sight is awesome, so glad I found it!
You guys have been extremely helpful.

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
1 Posts
pamflo intermittent fan noise/roar

:)If the shop is a GM dealer they should have the service bulletin that pertains to this condition it involves reprogramming the powertrain control module if the condition persists it will need a new fan clutch also,its not a cheap part as it is a viscous coupled computer controlled unit,still much cheaper than a new engine if it overheats hope this helps.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So...
I took my TB in a couple weeks ago for the Fan Clutch replacement. And, of course, it didn't act up the whole day they had it :x
It cannot be claimed under warranty without a diagnosis so with out it acting up they cannot diagnose :suicide: and to top it all off I had to pay for the tech time for him to find nothing wrong ($86) grrrrr. Basically the service advisor told me to wait til it dies then call road side assistance then warranty will cover it, like I wanna be stranded somewhere when I know what is wrong with it, so frustrating.
So I called another garage to find out what they charge to replace it, $416 for the part and 2 hours labour for a total of about $650 so needless to say I will wait untill it acts up more often(like 4+ times a day isn't enough already sheesh) and have warranty cover it.
That's my rant LOL :hissy:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
114 Posts
I understand that a part can fail, but what does the PCM flash do for it as well? Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts

Can the A/C pulley or compressor cause this same symptom?? My dealer service is trying to tell me that is my problem, not the fan clutch.
I took my truck in Yesterday for this same thing (was the 3rd time). While it was acting up they took the serpintine belt off and the noise was still there so they lubed the A/C belt and the noise went away so they replaced the A/C belt and said it was fixed, when I went to pick it up the engine still roared liked usual, now they want to check the A/C pulley and compressor.
Please help!!!:confused:

·
Registered
260 Posts
:thx
So, I know no one is checking this thread anymore but this is the best place to say what I need to say:
Well after 8 months of the dealership telling me the noise I was hearing from my truck along with the lack of power "was normal", and me saying "no it's not, replace the Fan Clutch", it is now fixed along with a new water pump, and we all know the water pump probably went because of the Fan Clutch, why can't they just listen to girls, some of us do know what we are talking about (thanks to Trailvoy.com)? So glad my extended warranty is over, I am done with warranty BS!!!
To top it all off, the Fan Clutch isn't a warranty covered part, so in the end I had to pay for it anyway, so I could have had it replaced months ago :hissy:
The water pump leaking was the reason I had the Fan Clutch replaced. I told them since you have to take off the Fan Clutch to get to the water pump, replace it too BUT don't charge me for 2 separate jobs, I was only charges less than an hour for the Fan Clutch replacement plus the part.
AHHHH she runs so nice now, I love my truck!!!
Karen

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
To top it all off, the Fan Clutch isn't a warranty covered part, so in the end I had to pay for it anyway, so I could have had it replaced months ago
What do you mean the fan clutch is not covered in the warranty??? This is not a recall problem were they replace the fan for free but a warrenty problem that should cover the fan if there are problems with your veichle. You got ripped off buddy. If i were you i would file a complaint to the GM dept to get your refund back.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I didn't get ripped off, other than I could have gotten the part cheaper elsewhere. I have an '03 TB, have an extended warranty, Fan Clutch(not fan) is not covered under this particular warranty.
No offence but I'd rather be called a chick than buddy :nono: :raspberry
Thanks for your consern though, I appreciate it ;)
Karen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts