Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Yep. Regulator. Ebay has some cheaper than the dealer. But you didn't share your configuration with us so we don't know if you're an EXT or not. The usual on-line vendors like rockauto.com should have them as well.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
what most likely happened- is that the cable inside- has come off the pulley or one of the ends.
the cable looks like the metal cable used for bike brakes.

I recommend for now that you not operate the window anymore.
Youll have to open up the door panel and inspect.
Similar thing happened to me-
But I started hearing alot of sounds.
it was the cable winding up on itself etc.
I eventually tried putting everything back toghether- it would not work right anymore- cable kept jumping off the spool---
so I put window back up and cable back on--- and disconnected the plug.
That window no longer gets used.
one of the how to's above has instruction on speakers--- use that to remove the door panel... its actually quite easy. Once you do it once- youll be able to remove that door panel in no time.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
152 Posts
Hi c good. I'm going through the identical prob right now. Let us know if you have the short or extended wheelbase. It matters. I have the short wb and the rear left regualtor went a few weeks ago. I removed the door panel and speaker. The regulator was shot. The cable had jumped the flimsy plastic spooler. The track and motor were fine - too bad. The whole assembly needs replacing. I removed the whole thing and propped the window up in closed position with a cut-to-length 2x4. Not pretty but not drafty.

I haunted ebay for a long time before I found a take-off. Jumped on it, and got it for around $60. Its in transit now. I'll let you know how I make out. Should be an easy install;)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I also found that my motor was fine... it was that little spool....

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input so far everyone. It's a standard SLT Envoy, 4WD. 140 K miles. A friend of mine is selling it and I'm contemplating buying it. Just want to get an idea what I'm getting into parts wise/money wise. I'm good with tools, and have taken lots of other car doors apart over the years for regulator replacement, broken glass replacement, etc. Just don't know this vehicle yet. c good

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
152 Posts
Hi c good. I'm going through the identical prob right now. Let us know if you have the short or extended wheelbase. It matters. I have the short wb and the rear left regualtor went a few weeks ago. I removed the door panel and speaker. The regulator was shot. The cable had jumped the flimsy plastic spooler. The track and motor were fine - too bad. The whole assembly needs replacing. I removed the whole thing and propped the window up in closed position with a cut-to-length 2x4. Not pretty but not drafty.

I haunted ebay for a long time before I found a take-off. Jumped on it, and got it for around $60. Its in transit now. I'll let you know how I make out. Should be an easy install;)
Jobs Done!

I intended to post pics but this repair really isn't pic-worthy. Simple, simple, simple. Even for me. Three fasteners hold the the contraption pictured above to the door panel and 2 hex nuts clamp on glass (get these tight), connect the motor. Thats it. Replace the speaker, and door panel - done!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
13 Posts
I found a new regulator for the drivers side rear door on ebay...$89.00 no tax no shipping. Replaced it in the driveway in less than 1/2 an hour. This would have been a job I wouldn't even have thought of doing without Trailvoy.com...thanks everybody, you have saved me and others countless $$'s. :hail::hail::hail::hail::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
152 Posts
I found a new regulator for the drivers side rear door on ebay...$89.00 no tax no shipping. Replaced it in the driveway in less than 1/2 an hour. This would have been a job I wouldn't even have thought of doing without Trailvoy.com...thanks everybody, you have saved me and others countless $$'s. :hail::hail::hail::hail::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

What he said :grouphug:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1 Posts
Power window regulator cable broke

**I saved over $150. buying an entire OEM replacement NOT from a dealer but a great local parts store named G&R Auto Parts, (www.gandrautoparts.com) 9121 S Shields, OKC, OK 73160.
The local Chevy dealer quoted me $175. for the same part and labor was extra to put it on.
I got the new part for $50.
Cool thing is it took me longer to take the door apart than to install the new assembly. I was done taking off the old motor/regulator part (all of 3 screws holding it on) and installing the new one in about 20 minutes.
I'll be picking up one for the drivers side window tomorrow since it was so easy to do. By the way, my TB is an '03 ext.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Hi everyone. I just signed up to the forum. G/F's TB, but I'm the mechanic, so guess who'll be on the forum more? :)

Her TB's RR window just went out, too. Pulled the door panel off and removed the motor/regulator. Same problem as everyone else. Cheap little plastic spool. Has anyone tried to "rebuild" (or should I say, reconnect) one of these regulators to the cables? I noticed that the lower cable is wound from inside (closest to the door panel) to outside (towards the window). I think I can shave a little plastic off the spool and "re-wind" the cables on it. Insufficient lube on the cables/spool seems to be the culprit here. One last thing, has anyone been finding these regulators at a fair price online? (Rockauto, eBay, etc.) Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Update!

Well, I was able to put the cables back onto the spool. (What a PITA it was!) I had lubed the cup where the spool sits and cleaned up the plastic ridges a bit. It actually works. even though it does make some unhealthy noises when operating up and down.

So, after all that, I put the entire door back together. (If none of you have done this before, I had to remove the door panel, door handle, speaker housing and small window inset to remove the door glass, and then the regulator as one unit.) During my OPS check, I heard a "crackle" and looked at the regulator to find the upper plastic pulley had busted. So, good news is that the door is back together with the window in the up position. The bad news is my G/F is still going to have to buy another regulator. :mad:

Rockauto has one for about $135. Anyone find one cheaper?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2 Posts
Noob

Hey guys, I am picking up my 2003 Trailblazer LTZ today ... just prior to the snow storm that will be hitting tonight.
I got the TB cheap, because it has a few issues mechanically (exterior and interior is immaculate)
One of my issues is both rear windows don't work.
I replaced the window motor in my 2000 Camaro recently, and that was a pain.
Knowing that these forums are great for info like this, I wanted to see what it would take to fix mine.
Seems like it "might" not need a whole assembly (if I am lucky)
I also see that Dorman makes "gears", or as it looks ... spools, for very cheap.
I will have to check it out. Found part number on Advance Auto's website.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
24 Posts
Envoy XL Rear Window

I am very happy to see this thread - our LR window went out recently and luckily it is in the up position - I dread taking it to the dealr for what they might charge to fix it - but after reading these posts, maybe this is another minor repair I can tackle myself. Trailvoy has saved me two other times!

I would like to see those instructions for taking the door apart - someone said follow the steps for removing the speakers?

Now, on to ebay to find that rear window regulator part...

·
Registered
29 Posts
My driver side rear window went out last night...why is everyone having an issue with the same window? Weird. It is pretty easy to take the door panel off and get the motor/regulator out. I just figured I would let everyone know that if you need one of these they are about $200 at autozone, I'm not about to do that. So, I found on Amazon.com for $83. Surprisingly everything I fix thanks to Trailvoy I get the parts the cheapest off of Amazon. Just some food for thought. Thank you to everyone for saving me thousands with this site.:thx

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
15 Posts
My driver side rear window went out last night...why is everyone having an issue with the same window? Weird. It is pretty easy to take the door panel off and get the motor/regulator out. I just figured I would let everyone know that if you need one of these they are about $200 at autozone, I'm not about to do that. So, I found on Amazon.com for $83. Surprisingly everything I fix thanks to Trailvoy I get the parts the cheapest off of Amazon. Just some food for thought. Thank you to everyone for saving me thousands with this site.:thx
My daughter's rear pass. side went out, 1/2 inch from being fully closed. My wife started monkeying with it and window dropped into the door. The white spring connector dislocated from the regulator. I pulled the window up and blocked it up with a 2x2 about 10 inches long then bungied it place. Would have used bailing wire:duh:, but couldn't find it.

My daughter checked out the parts on the web and Amazon did have the cheapest price for a Dorman part. Hope their rep holds in that they upgrade the part.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
9 Posts
There are a few on ebay for $80 for the XL and EXT models rear left door. I just ordered mine from ebay store "california lighting co." I've done windows on Jeep Cherokees and GM has done a good job keeping the panel open so its easier to work on. The only hard part is disconnecting the power window control cord because it requires some small fingers.

·
Registered
2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT EXT
473 Posts
Hello,
Sounds like I need the same repair on my 2003 EXT Trailblazer.
Scanned Amazon.com and the only listed regulator is $119 have they gone up $30 in the last month since the last posting?
I guess I'll try ebay and see what pops up.

Ah..ha
searched Amazon using the dorman part number and found it for $73.62
Now I just have to block up the window and wait for delivery.
(local parts store quoted over $175 and estimated a 1-2 week wait for delivery)

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
24 Posts
Envoy XL Rear Window Regulator - Success

I just did mine today on my wife's Envoy XL - wouldnt have attempted if not for the info found here. I have a couple of pics for anyone interested.

I got the part (window regulator and motor) from ebay for $80 + free shipping. We set aside a whole Sunday afternoon to do this job, but it really only took under an hour.

Taped up the window, took the inside door cover and sound shield off, loosened/unbolted the old broken regulator from the window and door, and installed the new one. Once it was in, reattach window switch and raise it up into position to meet the window, and tighten 2 bolts holding the rubber mounts to the glass.

The most time we spent was cleaning off the goo from duct tape which had been holding the window closed for the past few days.

Thanks again to Trailvoy forums; this time saved you me about $3-400 from what the dealer woulda charged.

:thx

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.