Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time poster here. I am hoping someone can give me a few ideas. My 2002 Envoy would not start this morning. When I tried, it turned over very slowly for about 3 seconds and then wouldn’t turn over any more. I tried a few more times but it would only make a single clicking noise when I turned the key. For the last couple of months it has been starting a little hard intermittently. It would always start but sometimes it would seem to turn over real slow, kind of like the battery was weak. There was no pattern to this other than it seemed like it happened more frequently when the engine was warmed up and did not seem to happen as much starting it in the morning or after work. When I first noticed it I thought the battery might be the problem, and the battery was pretty old, so I put in a new battery which did not make much difference. Maybe it is only coincidence but I first noticed the problem after putting in new spark plugs. The problem seems to be more like a weak battery or bad starter. The engine runs great once it is started and my mileage has not dropped.

Anyways, my truck is sitting in my garage at home until I get home from work tonight. Any ideas on what I can check? Does it sound like a bad starter? If so, how difficult is it to replace? Anything I can try to get it started so I can drive it to a shop otherwise. I need the truck to pull a camper this weekend and would like to not have to pay to have it towed. Thanks for any help/ideas!!

BTW - I tried jump starting it but that made no difference.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Definitely sounds like the starter or its built-in solenoid. Might also be loose or oxidized contacts on the cable from the battery to the starter. Do you have a meter and know how to use it? It's only a couple of mounting bolts to change, plus the electrical connection. Time to start poking about with a meter to see where the voltage is disappearing along the way from the battery to the starter.

Some folks have reported temporary success in shocking the starter with a hammer smack while somebody turns the key.

If you didn't hear a click, even with a new battery, you probably have a bad ignition switch. They have a high mortality rate. Less likely than that is the starter control relay in the fuse block.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
170 Posts
These things are enough to drive you nuts...

I am curious if this problem is gone or just dormant for you...

Similar to you I changed the battery (cause it was aged) no problem for a couple of weeks and then bang - no go... charged the battery up and away it went.

I am pulling the alternator now and taking it in for a check. I am just debating pulling the starter and having it checked at the same time.

I have put 4 ign sw in over the years and this could be the signs for #5.

Enjoy
R:x

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Playstrings,

So far, so good. It has been a week since I replaced the starter and it has started fine every time since. I am pretty convinced it was the starter/solenoid. I replaced it myself - it was not a fun job but it definitely can be done at home. On my Envoy I had to pull the driver's side front wheel off and I was able to reach in and get at the starter. It was not easy or comfortable but it beat having it towed and having to pay someone else to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.