Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this trailvoy Forum. I have used it many times before and im many cases it has helped with my problems. I recently just had a problem with my envoy last week that I think I should share with all of you. Last week I was driving along and out of nowhere my truck stoped running. When I turned the key nothing happened, no clicks, noises, the lights didnt dim, no starter, nothing. When I stopped I checked my battery cables, gas and fuses. Every thing there seemed fine there, so I towed it back to my house. After further review of my engine fuse block I noticed that the PCM1 fuse(10?) was blown. As soon as I put a new fuse in it blew instantly. My brother is a GM mechanic so he plugged in a scantool and got a no communication error and no codes. We then disconected each wire cluser from my engine control module one at a time and tried to start the vehicle. The middle wire cluster when detached from the PCM would not blow the fuse. This got us to think that it was the PCM that was shorted. I replaced the PCM, to no avail. Still the same problem. Upon reviewing wiring diagrams we pulled the fuel pump relay because it is connected to that PCM fuse. After that the fuse did not blow, and the engine turned over. This was a very satisfying moment in this adventure. So then we got to looking for shorted wires. I had my fuel pump replaced 2 years ago and we figured that we would start there. Since we couldnt get to the fuel pump without dropping the tank this was almost imposible. However, since the fuel pump was recently replaced there was a wire connection from the original wiring to the new fuel pump wires on the drivers side. When we disconnected this harness there was obvious corrosion within the connection. We cut the harness out and spiced the wires back together and she started right up! AND, my fuel gauge hasnt worked for a year and a half and now that works too! So i figured that I would share this with everyone because it was a very interesting situation. Im sure if I would have brought it to a shop they would have changed my fuel pump. So in total, it cost me $80 for the PCM which im trying to sell back and $6 for the wire connectors. Woodyoutwo. 3/25/11

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
Thanks for passing this on. It seems the little things are the ones that cause to most problems and are hardest to find. I'll keep it in mind if I have the same situation as my fuel pump was replaced about three years ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts