Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been looking at getting a new after market dash installed into my 2002 Envoy.
I started to look for stereos and find the best blah blah.. When i went to my local stereo store, they told me that because i have a "newer" GM car, that ill need to get a harness for my stereo if i wanted my door chimes to work.
He told me that there were a few things else that i lose if i do not get this harness.
What will i lose if i dont buy it? That part will cost me $120 if i want one with a warentee. I'd like to avoid paying this, because if its just a simple matter of door chimes that i lose, fine by me. They are rather annoying anyway.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Welcome to the site......please fill out your user cp.......as well with the harness.......I feel you.......I got a pioneer deck installed on my Voy and needed this stupid harness........everything else works except my onstar.......but who needs onstar anyways........thats :m2: maybe someone else will chime in and get you on the right track! Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3 Posts
i own a stereo shop and thank u gm for that $$ part i did not use the 120 plug either i sell my customers a harness for 25 that works fine but i do have to get power off of the fuse box for the acc. (red wire)
u lose the door ding but i hated it anyways and u also lose the retained acc power so the radio will now cutoff with the key. nothing else

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had the same problem with my 04 TB. with out it the radio will shut off when u remove the key. but i had the onstar in mine n i think i overpaid but my harness was $100 cuz i needed a specific one for the onstar. but in my harness you can change the volume of the chime so i put it low so its not to loud n obnoxious. but good luck with it!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
257 Posts
hey man i did a complete stereo make over in my 04 envoy myself and put a double din kenwood screen in place of the stock bose unit and there are two different harnesses you can get... both are adjustable so you can turn the volume of the door chime down or off and same with onstar... the nice thing about it is it's just plug and play for the most part instead of cutting and fusing wires together.

i got mine on ebay just do a search for the GMOS-04 (If you have bose) it was like 40 bucks maybe...

and it's been awhile so i don't remember the part number if you don't have bose

P.S. if you DO have bose PM me, i have a harness sitting in my garage that i ordered off ebay, but got impatient and just went and bought one... but if your interested i'll sell you the GMOS-04

let me know!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm.. okay.
Well, see the thing is, i dont want to spend the extra money on a harness that only makes my door chime.. i think its rather annoying myself.

When i talked to the man at my local stereo store, he said that i would lose my dash lights, and my oil gage. Any truth to this, or was he just screwing with me.

Thanks for the offer, im not sure yet if i'll do that, since i was just gonna buy everything and have Cartoys do it. I might have my buddy do it, and if i do, ill hit you up on that harness. About how much would you charge me for it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, see the thing is, im trying to avoid buying that, cause if i do, i want to get it under warranty.

I just got off the line with Car Toys, and the man said that if i didnt get the part, i lose chimes and some dash lights stay on.
Can anyone confirm that this is true or false?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
89 Posts
I just ordered my harness and it it was 53 including shipping (gmos-4). I didn't want to buy the harness considering i can get the standard gm harness for 3 dollars but it is possible that you can not only loose door chimes but i have heard as much as the check engine light, oil light,and other lights. I have used the cheap harness at least 20 times in the newer gm vehicles and haven't seen a problem yet but for 50 dollars I wasn't willing to take the risk on my own personal vehicle. Hope this helps

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i called my local GMC delership and talked to a guy in the service department, he said that my oil lights probably wouldnt be affected if i didnt get the harness, but i think im just gonna buy a cheaper harness and have cartoys use that when they install it. I dont care if its not under warentee.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
172 Posts
Is the factory alarm tied into the radio somehow like everything else in the car? If I swap out the factory radio, do I need to get an aftermarket alarm?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no you wont. I went in to cartoys today and go a huge expliantion about the whole thing.
Its kinda hard to explain it, cause i didnt understand it at first, but the Car Alarm wont be effected. It is reconmended to get the part highly, because you have a 50/50 chance that it doesnt mess your car up big time.
If you dont get the part, it can cause the car's computer to get false information, and somethings can cause your fuel injectors to miss fire and really screw your car up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
after market radio - speakers????

have you guys also replaced the bose speakers? i have a 2007 envoy with the bose pkg. i want to upgrade the speakers but the guys at best buy told me i cant b/c pf the way the bose speakers are placed in the doors. they told me this is a kit you can buy to use any after market speakers, but i have not been able to find it. any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey, i have just installed a new double din pioneer stereo into my truck because the stereo sound on the factory stereo stopped working.. it is installed and all is done right, however still no sound...??? i was told that 2002 envoys needed an aftermarket amp installed if it is not the factory stereo... is this true.. what can i do???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure about an amp... You need a new wire harness (which is basicly a converter to plug into the cars computer then into the new stereo). Did you buy one of those?

·
Registered
8 Posts
we have the wire harness $150 later... its is just that we have it all hooked up but still no sound.. we have chimes ... but no music...?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts