Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
I'm contemplating purchasing the above vehicle from friend. It's got 140,000 miles. Is there a ballpark mileage when the timing chain may need to be replaced? Or is this one a pretty good design that's good for the life of engine? It's been well maintained with all scheduled maintenace done in a timely fashion. Thanks for any input. c good

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1,356 Posts
Welcome to the site ...:tiphat

Avg miles is about 12 to 15 k per year .. so at 7 years old it is high on that end.

I would check the see if he has had any of the recalls or TSBs done.

How much is he asking?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Supposedly, the chain is expected to last the life of the vehicle. I remember somebody stating a 150,000 mile service interval, but that may be to 'check' the chain. On engines that use belts, its not uncommon to service/check every 15k and replace at 60k. (And nobody does the 15k checks). There are members on here with that kind of mileage and even higher, but no reports of chain/gear failure that I'm aware of. GM designed a very durable motor in the 4.2, shame they didn't drop it into other vehicles.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
143,000+ miles here on my 03.
Have not touched the timing chain.
I have NO plans on checking it anytime soon. The only time I think about my timing chain- is when it comes up on here.
Not something I worry about.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
501 Posts
No service on chains. Only belts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 02 gmc envoy I took into Chevy Lithia and they told me I need to replace my cam phaser and connector.that didn't make sense to me because on line I found it was the cam shaft actuator solenoid aka. Veribable timimg solenoid and the connector to that.my understanding is that The solenoid part works with phaser in some way or another regarding oil.my check engine light has been on and this all happened after an oil change I did.the codes are p0013, p0014 and p1345.it is also making a kicking noise that goes away when it's idle is up.do I need to replace my timing chain? And what about the phaser? They said 275 for that part but I think he confused that part with the actuator and connector. Could to much oil cause the issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the site ...:tiphat

Avg miles is about 12 to 15 k per year .. so at 7 years old it is high on that end.

I would check the see if he has had any of the recalls or TSBs done.

How much is he asking?
MY 2002 GMC ENVOY SLT 4.2L NOW HAS 640,000 MILES ON THE ORIGINAL ENGINE STILL RUNNING STRONG EVEN ORIGINAL FUEL INJECTORS INTERNAL ENGINE UNTOUCHED USING 1 QUART OF OIL NOW PER 2,500 MILES
STILL EARNING MONEY
Screenshot_20200407-102601.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts