Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

2002 Engine Light

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  tallcorn 
#1 ·
Hello there, A very annoying problem just cropped up in my 2002 TB. The engine light comes on for a few days and then as I drive it starts to flash and sometimes stays steady. After a few days it goes out and the truck runs fine. A few days later it comes back on and same problem. The truck idles rough off the line. I went to the dealer a few weeks ago for a tuneup, a major one that inculded everything and they made no mention of the engine light even though it was on, during the drive to the dealer. What could this problem be? Any other people have this problem?

BC

#6 ·
:iagree: But it is very hard for us to help you out without the code number. You can take it to autozone and get it read for free, just make sure you tell them not to clear it out. They will even give you a print out telling you the code and what it means. There are over 500 diffrent things that can go wrong for that light to come on. You might try reset to see if the pcm is getting confused now that the engine is all clean. take the battery cable off for about 20 mins and make sure everything is turned off in the truck then re-attach it and turn the key to just the accessory position and leave it there for about 2 mins, then turn it off and start it up.

#8 ·
Code Found Part Jumber Needed

HI there I took the advice and got the code. It is a P0 301. The #1 coil pack is gone. Anybody know what the GM part number for this is or the AC Delco number, it seems easy enough to change and I dont want to pay the dealer for this.

Thanks!!!

#12 ·
Wow .... make sure you tell me what dealership you took it to because that scares me. Anyone else in our area would want to know for sure. :yes:

They should always plug it in and get codes and stored codes and give you a report. And the flashing light is bad as the rich condition caused by the misfire can melt your Cat.

#13 ·
Code P0 301 is cylinder #1 misfire specific but it doesn't point to what is causing the misfire. You recently had a major tune-up done. I assume the coil pack was pulled to change spark plugs. It could be a bad new spark plug but the misfire shouldn't come and go. Maybe the connector isn't on all the way. Check that. An injector could be causing a misfire. A bad coincidence but possible. You could swap coil packs and then have the codes checked at a parts place to see if the misfire moved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.