Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a search and saw how everyone ranted about how good but nothing specific to the questions I have.

1) Dropped my ride with 'lowered' springs but kept the STOCK shocks. Overall ride was good for a bit and I really can't feel it in the drivers seat, but passengers apparently feel every jolt. I read somewhere that the BLACK SHOCKS were Bilsteins. I'm thinking of changing the shocks to BILSTEIN HDs in the back and the forum threads agree that the ride control is better.

http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/h...ke='CHEVROLET'&model='Trailblazer'&year='2003'

which leads me to Question #2

2) Can I do the SHOCK swap myself with just a jack? Looks like it's a direct bolt on and the SHOCKS are separate from the coils so I don't believe I need to deal with the hassle of a spring compressor --so with the car sitting on the ground (or jacked up), I should be able to do this 15 min swap right?

LASTLY

3) In terms of ride quality, anyone have any experience or thoughts about INSTALLING the rear AIRBAGS that came from the SS into a NON-SS model? I figure the parts should be a direct bolt-on but may require a professional mechanic/installer to do the job? If I go this route, are the AIRBAGS a better qualit ride than the BILSTEIN HDs?

Thanks a bunch.

· Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,765 Posts
I already had HD Bilsteins on my TB when I lowered it. I dropped the rear 2" with lowering springs (blue ones, can't think of the name for some reason) In the front I installed spring/struts from a TBSS with gave me 2" drop also. To sum up, it rides like SH*T! Bounce bounce bounce bounce unless I'm on a smooth interstate. I'm getting sick of worrying about speedbumps, curbs etc so I'm going back to stock height when I get time to do it.

· Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,138 Posts
I already had HD Bilsteins on my TB when I lowered it. I dropped the rear 2" with lowering springs (blue ones, can't think of the name for some reason) In the front I installed spring/struts from a TBSS with gave me 2" drop also. To sum up, it rides like SH*T! Bounce bounce bounce bounce unless I'm on a smooth interstate. I'm getting sick of worrying about speedbumps, curbs etc so I'm going back to stock height when I get time to do it.
want to trade springs :)

· Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,765 Posts
want to trade springs :)
I've thought about selling the stuff when I take it off. The front struts were 500 mile TBSS take offs and the rear springs have new airlift bags too. That boogered up front bolt is what's keeping me from doing it! I remember what a PITA it was last time. I've had my front struts out so many times now that I can do it pretty fast.

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I'm hearing from the forums..
-Stock Bilstein shocks are bouncy bouncy..
and so is the aftermarket Bilstein HD when combined with lowered springs.

I'm going to give the Belltech Nitro Drop 2 shocks a try and see how it goes.
I love the look of the lowered truck (more aggressive) but am really really hating the bounciness.

· Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
63 Posts
then use a floor jack to support the differential from hanging on the shocks at full extension.
That also really helps getting the bottom of the shock lined up with the bracket so the bolt slides right in smooth.

That boogered up front bolt is what's keeping me from doing it!
Did you try rethreading it? I think AutoZone or Advance loan a tool and die kit that might do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.