Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 LTZ 4WD and am going to purchase the BDS 2" lift kit. I have already purchased the Avalanch rear springs and shocks from Ebay. I also placed an order for the front Bilstein shocks. My goal is to get the largest set of tires on the truck with just a 2" lift.

Here are my questions:
1) Do I still add the 2" BDS lift to the rear of the truck in addition to the Avalanch rear spring and shocks?
2) Anyone know the largest tire size (31" or higher) that can be installed with this lift without also doing the 2" body lift? I'm going to reuse the stock 17" rims.

Thanks

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
BDS will fit in back along with Z71 springs. Just make sure to buy the kit minus the BDS shocks to save money.

The tire question is answered in the "Will it fit?" sticky in the Offroad forum.

As a short answer - larger tires are enabled by the use of wheel spacers to move the edge of the tire away from the upper ball joint. Lift kits, by themselves, don't help that process at all. The geometry is set by the design of the steering knuckle. Lift kits help for wheelwell clearance once you get to 31-33" tires.

Lots of discussion of precisely this issue in the Offroad forum. Larger tires affect your effective gear ratio, wider ones reduce gas mileage, and aren't always the best way to spend a limited budget. Depending on what you intend to do with them offroad, of course.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention in my original post that I also put an online quote request to wheeladapters.com for 1.5" to make sure to get around the knuckle problem.

Thanks for the scoop on not getting the kit with the shocks. That'll save a few bucks. Now on to the Sticky thread to look into the tire sizes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts