Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I spent a great weekend at a campground without our camper in a tent. We left or 18ft 3,600lbs TT at home because the climb is huge.a 2.5 mile 18% grade. Then there the DOWNSIDE a 2.5 mile 18% going down.

Question 1 How crazy :weird:is it t take a 4000lbs TT up a 18% grade for 2 1/2 miles?
Question 2 Would it be crazy:weird: to take a 4,000lbs TT DOWN an 18% grade?

it takes me 2.5 hrs :woot:the regular way and close to 6 if I go around from the "back" way.:bonk: Last year we drove the back way and filled the tank twice at $4.25 a :hissy:gallon. . This year, Boy did we miss our camper when it rained and needed to pee.

I have 04, SWB, I6, 3:73 rear, ext trans cooler, elc brake controll, wgt dit hitch w sway controll.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I do that sort of stuff all the time with my 3500 lb max trailer. But I have an aux cooler AND a scangauge to watch the tranny temp in real time, all the time. If you don't have a Scangauge II, I strongly recommend it.

Sometimes, especially above 6000 feet, I'll be in 1st gear, 2/3-3/4 throttle for 5-10 miles at a time, 85-95 ambient temp. If the coolant temp goes over 235 I might turn off the AC and use the heater for some aux cooling, but almost never need to.

If the hill gets worse than that, just drop it into 4LO and get another 2.7-to-1 reduction. :thumbsup:

Descending is just a matter of getting into 1st gear, staying off the brakes as much as possible, and monitoring the tranny temp, since that's where the heat is going. I just started carrying one of those non-contact infrared thermometers to monitor the trailer hub/bearing, and brake drum temps. Keep them under 200 and you'll do fine as well.

Is that trailer a tandem with four brakes, or just two?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good question its a forrest river and has 4 wheels I dont know if brakes its all 4 or just 2?
I just thought it would seriously do damage to the trans if i attempted this. I do not have a trans temp guage but, you think this is do-able? I would love to go again in late sept. is this really worth the stain on the trans. ?

I went to monroe and they said my TB brakes pads are fine but the rotors are rusty. Other than being a little soft I have had no problem. Any one else have any input?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts