Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yep it's sad but true.....

So over the last two weeks I've been hearing an exhaust leak every time I start up the Denali in the morning..or when it's been sitting for at least 3 hours.
So I did many searches here and some other sites and nothing was to specific on this problem. And holy cow..:hissy:..problem it is!

Anyways I thought..huh...why not take it to the GM dealership I bought it from, since I purchased an after market extended warranty.

Yeah.......did not go the way I thought it would.

Anyways 1 hour digging into the problem the service tech found 4 broken exhaust manifold bolts. The two front on the passenger side and the two rear on the drivers side.

SO ok, one would think ok just take out the broken bolts and replace them. Rrrright:crazy:

Not so much.

To do the job it will require 14.5 hours per ALLdata to RR the motor. Included in the job to be done correctly, is pulling the motor-pulling heads-drilling out old broken exhaust manifold bolts-reinstall motor.
Now granted the job will also include new Head gaskets-exhaust manifold gaskets-lower intake gasket-and a few other gaskets and fluids lost.

The engine has 118.XXX miles on it.

Dealer said parts alone will be $600
:rolleyes: (at there ridiculous markup) :rolleyes:

So then I ask why the warranty wont cover this?.?

Dealer's simple answer "Because the bolts are not covered"

But! the dealer did say that in the event they find that the heads are warped, then the warranty will cover 100% of the job-parts and labor!!

Yeah...probably wont go that way for me.

So I gave them the go ahead to start tearing into it hoping that there will be a slight chance the heads are warped, causing the manifold bolts to break.

Upside of this, the dealer will give me an additional 12 month 12 thousand mile warranty of any work done by them so.........

Downside the heads wont be warped and I'll have to pay 100% of the parts and labor.

My thinking is so be it, since now all the gaskets, fluids and exhaust bolts will be new....oh wait!!!

Yeah funny thing the service manager writing up the work order said this will only replace the 4 broken bolts. I'm like...wait a minute genius; what happens in six month from now if the other original exhaust manifold bolts break? then what?

I said listen, I've boughten 3 vehicles from you in the last 10 years......how about saving me the headache and replace all the exhaust manifold bolts while your at it.

So yeah here I sit with no Envoy until next Wednesday when they expect to have it completed.

-Todd:suicide:

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
daaaamn that crazy!!,,,my only idea to save ya some cash would be to pay a few bucks and get the bolts from a junkyard.....i know of a voy right now in a junk yard you could probably get the bolts from......if ya want i can get ya the phone number...you could probably get them plus shipped for under 20 bucks!......ok just saw you live in oshkosh,,,,,just call LQK in Hustiford....

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
The good news,

I've had many GM V8s (and V6s) apart........... every one had warped heads.

Now, I'm talking cast iron heads. I think our trucks have aluminium heads, but they are probably warped.

But :undecided, I've never heard of a warped head breaking exhaust bolts :undecided

daaaamn that crazy!!,,,my only idea to save ya some cash would be to pay a few bucks and get the bolts from a junkyard.....i know of a voy right now in a junk yard you could probably get the bolts from......if ya want i can get ya the phone number...you could probably get them plus shipped for under 20 bucks!......ok just saw you live in oshkosh,,,,,just call LQK in Hustiford....
The bolts, are not the problem (actually, they're studs, nuts hold the manifods on). Getting the old bloken studs out is the problem. The heads must be removes to drill out the broken parts.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
It will be hard to remove the bolts since your over 100k miles and the bolts are already rusted. But I also believe its bs to to pay for additional parts that you dont need except for the bolts.

Had the same problem. Since the prices on web sites have increase dramaticly, the cost is nearly the same as buying parts from the dealer with the exception of getting parts the next day. I ask the dealer for the price for a new head gasket and the dealer said they dont sell them individually. Had to purhase the exhaust manifolds inorder to get the head gasket (600 bucks). Told them to F off. Bought the head gasket at parts4less only for 8 bucks.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
201 Posts
The good news,

I've had many GM V8s (and V6s) apart........... every one had warped heads.

Now, I'm talking cast iron heads. I think our trucks have aluminium heads, but they are probably warped.

But :undecided, I've never heard of a warped head breaking exhaust bolts :undecided

The bolts, are not the problem (actually, they're studs, nuts hold the manifods on). Getting the old bloken studs out is the problem. The heads must be removes to drill out the broken parts.
I have worked on numerous LS based motors and never heard of a head warping problem.

Also, they are bolts, not studs.

OP, sounds like a crappy deal. I can see MAYBE pulling the motor for the back two bolts but the fronts should not be a problem. Removing the heads is a little extreme. Sounds like a dealership out to screw someone over...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
Wow :eek:

That's crazy.....I will hope your heads are warped.....for your sake.

but $2K for 4 bolts....that nuts......(no pun intended)

why don't you just do it yourself?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
To busy with work and other projects, that this one I wanted to farm out to the dealer....

I figure they can't be screwing me to badly if ALLdata shows the job to be 14.5 hours.

Checked around at a few other shops and they either don't want the job, or come up with around the same dollar amount to do the job.

Theres no real good 'cheap' solution here. Just need to take it in the butt and get it done...

Thanks for the replies though guys!

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Also, they are bolts, not studs.
Red, your right. We have bolts and not studs.

This is what I'm familiar with

Chevy Exhaust Manifold Stud, 2-1/4", Stainless Steel, 1955-1972

• [*]Replacement Stud
    [*]Includes Required Nut
    [*]2-6 Required Depending On Application
    [*]Improved Look & Durability Over Factory Stud

guess I'm dating myself :p

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
service work photos

Stopped by the GM Dealership today to check on progress. They took me back by the Denali....

First thing I noticed is the motor did not need to be pulled for this job!

So far it didn't take nearly as much time as they thought. They had a veteran mechanic do the work so I'm feeling pretty good about the outcome here.

They sent out the heads yesterday to be machined. I had a chance to talk with the mechanic and he said he doubts that the heads are warped in any way. Oh well....

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,219 Posts
So if it doesn't take nearly the time they quoted...will the job be cheaper?

Stopped by the GM Dealership today to check on progress. They took me back be the Denali....

First thing I noticed is the motor did not need to be pulled for this job!

So far it didn't take nearly as much time as they thought. They had a veteran mechanic do the work so I'm feeling pretty good about the outcome here.

They sent out the heads yesterday to be machined. I had a chance to talk with the mechanic and he said he doubts that the heads are warped in any way. Oh well....

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah they told me it would be cheaper if the job went faster than expected.
Guess I should have mentioned originally that the quote they gave me was 'Worst-Case Scenario'

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Yeah they told me it would be cheaper if the job went faster than expected.
Guess I should have mentioned originally that the quote they gave me was 'Worst-Case Scenario'
That should be good news.....right....lol......I'd be pissed off if they quoted me at a lower price and jack up the final price when finished.....Good luck on your truck!!!

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
All done!....

Well I picked up the Envoy today. Paid almost $1,900 after all said and done.
I scanned into my laptop the two invoices for the job for you all to see what they all did and how much what cost..

The exhaust leaks are gone now....but now there is a small whistle coming from the intake I think....only happens under hard acceleration.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
52 Posts
Good luck with it.

That's an insane bill but what can you do.

I get the same whistling under acceleration. I have a K&N intake on mine but haven't investigated it yet.

I've read out here on other threads on here I believe where people have the same issue with the whistling. Maybe you can do a quick search and find out what others have done to fix it or not.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I figure they can't be screwing me to badly if ALLdata shows it to be 14.5 hours
That's what all dealers use to determine the cost of replacing things on a vehicle, that's how they rape you.

I just can't see how replacing 4 bolts would be a 14 hour job yes I know they replaced some gaskets but god dam that's a lot of money :ugh:

But I sure am glad you got it fixed :yes:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Been just over a month now, and I thought I would give an update....

Just got back from a 2,500 mile trip and all is well with the truck!!:woohoo:

Better yet the Envoy averaged 19.5 MPG with the windows up and A/C on the whole way:)

Average speed was only 4 to 5 over posted speed limit @ about 1900 to 2100 RPM's depending on road grade<---- does that make sense?:crazy:

Outside temp was very hot the whole trip, from 88 degrees to high as 105 degrees

Coolant temp never went over 200 degrees

Oil pressure never dropped below 44 psi

Used 87 octane the whole trip, and used 1 bottle of Lucas injector cleaner on the way back home

Changed oil just prior to leaving and will change oil again in about a week of hometown driving

So conclusion is....very happy with end results in having to dump some money into the engine.

120,000 miles and climbing :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
566 Posts
is the whistling still there??? was it there before the repairs ???....if it has come on since the repair, i'd think the shop that did the repair would be responsible for fixing that......

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
Broken bolts on exhaust manifolds is not a new problem. Years ago when I worked for dealerships there was a company in town that specialized in broken bolt extractions. They had special 90 degree drills and easyouts that allowed them to remove the bolts without disassembling the engine. They charged a pretty high fee, but saved more in labor charges.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts