Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have an opportunity to buy a decent condition 1979 Chevy Suburban k20 3/4 4x4 for 3000 cash, good title. Seats have small holes but this **** is old and im surprised it doesnt have a giant ass hole in the drivers seat. It has a 99 vortec Solitairewith a new intake and a carb. Looks like no rust from the pictures. Thoughts? 9Apps – Download 9Apps Free Fast Install for Android 2020

·
Registered
321 Posts
I love the old Squares - have had a few in my time --- a 1973, a 1982, a 1986 (current) and a 1987.

All good and tough to destroy if you rinse the inner fenders and frame out after driving in salted roads and highways.

Don't let mud stick around for long either - the under-fender areas and the door corners and rocker are all very destructible from water intrusions. Rinse out the frame rails too.

The frame is springy - and that's a good thing so it can flex a bit when off-cambered or on a rt front and a left rear. Where the steering box mounts, there can be some serious cracks if it's been driven hard. Look carefully and I have a cheap repair if you know how to weld.

For the time being --- DO NOT WELD UP ANY CRACKS UNTIL YOU AT LEAST ASK ABOUT WHAT YOUR ARE GOING TO DO! ONE CAN DESTROY A FRAME IF ONE IS IN A HURRY!

A '79 didn't usually have a THM350C (lock-up) transmission with 4wd and anything else in there has been replaced with whatever it now has. I like manual valve body THM700R4 transmissions.

Check for Posi or Gov-Lok in the front and rear - the good ones will have it both ways. I've got Posi in the front and Gov-Lok in the rear. Everyone sneers at the Gov-Lok because they don't know how to use it.

Hopefully you don't have Auto Locking front hubs. They suck, are weak and let go when you take your foot off the gas - a BAD thing going downhill and you NEED good brakes!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts