Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Sitting in my drive is a 2004 Trailblazer LT in awesome shape, drives like a dream only thing is there is 162,000 plus miles on it. Like the salesman says "They're Highway Miles". The leather interior is spotless, newer tires, 4WD seems to work fine, No Rust, Nice bells and whistles. $7990 takes it home. I'm just wondering if I can get another 60k or 70k out of this? Who or where would be the best place to take this to get it checked out? My mechanic or are there 4WD shops out there that my be better? Undecided in Ohio.:crazy:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1,356 Posts
I have a 04 Envoy with just about 107k miles. Most people / dealers I know of think 12 to 15k miles a year is normal, so yes your would be high mileage. Then again I alway believe that cars / trucks / suvs are ment to be driven not stored. If you drive it correctly, keep up on the maintinence you could go for far many more miles than you have on it now. My last S10 blazer had over 245k miles on it. Take it is a good mechanic you trust or even the dealer if you want and just ask them to look it over. :m2:

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I got my 06 with over 70,000 less miles for under that. Search dealer internet specials. And be ready to buy QUICK.

However, I would not be opposed to buying one with that many miles if the would do a 6 month warranty or something. I got a 3 months for free with mine so I could give it a good shakedown.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
14 Posts
My best direct answer to your question is.. Theoretically, yes. 162k miles is a lot, but I have found GM motors have great longevity if taken care of properly. I understand from reading around on here that these engines are no exception..

I purchased mine thinking it would be a turn-key no worries daily driver.. this is not always the case, so if you haven't already, sift through the common issues on this forum to see what you are getting into. So far I've been lucky and only had to deal with the endlinks.

Good truck so far, but just a heads up.. especially if you are not a driveway mechanic as the common issues are not cheap to fix at the dealership. Good luck.

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, Quick!

Thanks for the replies. I am taking it to my mechanic today for a look over, found a little oil/trans fluid on the skid plate that we will look a little deeper on. Looks like new shocks/struts all around. Once on a lift I'll get a better look. Thanks again for the quick comments, keep 'em coming!:hail:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
My opinions:

162k is not a lot for that I6 motor. Not at all. I had 156k on my 03 Envoy when it was totalled, and it hardly used any oil--about a quart in 10,000 miles.

But, other things will break/wear out.

Here is a non-comprehensive list of things that you can reasonably expect to have to fix in the next 60,000 miles if they haven't already been done. Not in any specific order:

Fan clutch
Water pump
Idler pulley
Sway bar endlinks
Ignition switch
Front and rear shocks
Front hub bearing assemblies
Driver's side front differential seal
Dirty throttle body
Battery
Tires
Serpentine belt
Oxygen sensors

Cost of parts alone to fix these things approaches $1500. Labor would be much more.

Of course other things might break/wear out as well. I do almost all of my work myself, and I usually budget about $1000 per year for parts alone on my high(er) mileage cars. My Bonneville has about 177k on it now, and with my next parts order, I'll be right at that $1000 number. Figure $2500 per year for a high mileage vehicle if you don't do your own work. If you spend less consider yourself lucky.

Also, remember that you will have normal service items, such as oil and filter changes, a differential (front and rear) lube change, a transfer case fluid change, an air filter change, and a transmission filter and fluid change, to contend with if you want to stay on top of things.

Just my :m2:.

Oh, and by the way, there will be a "meet" of Trailvoy owners on June 19, I think, in Canton, so if you buy the truck, plan to attend. Watch for the thread to pop up again for info, or search for it--a search for "Canton" should find it for you.

Mark

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
547 Posts
That price seems high. I bought an 02, SLT, 4 X 4 in excellent condition with 159 K miles for $3300.00. Bought it from a friend but that's all the dealer offered him on a trade in and most of the auctions have these going for $3500-4000. I've put another $1500 in for AC trouble, windows not rolling up and down. Tune up, all fluid changes, skid plate, new tires. I like the vehicle now. With good maintenance I feel it will go 250-300K miles no problem. HTH c good

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
I have a 2003 with 204000 (approx) miles on it. I think 162000 is great:D

Mine is still going strong by the way.

·
Registered
211 Posts
it is a lot of miles, but if it is all highway miles it its not bad at all if you take care of your car and do regular maintenance.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
20 Posts
I would think you could find one cheaper, or with less miles for that price. I was going to trade my 02 w150,000 on it last summer when the wife got a new car but they were only going to give me 2200 trade in so we decided to keep it and get rid of the other car. their was no mechicanical issues, brand new tires and tranny lines, and only a scrape or two on the bumpers.

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
989 Posts
TB

Hello, Sitting in my drive is a 2004 Trailblazer LT in awesome shape, drives like a dream only thing is there is 162,000 plus miles on it. Like the salesman says "They're Highway Miles". The leather interior is spotless, newer tires, 4WD seems to work fine, No Rust, Nice bells and whistles. $7990 takes it home. I'm just wondering if I can get another 60k or 70k out of this? Who or where would be the best place to take this to get it checked out? My mechanic or are there 4WD shops out there that my be better? Undecided in Ohio.:crazy:
I would look around that seems high to me for $8K . For a little over twice that amount I got a 2008 Ascender with 2900 miles on it , even still smelled new. The best place to look for these is at websites like cars.com or autotrader.com . They post dealer and private seller if you so choose.

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow I'm overwhelmed by the support here, makes me want to buy it just to be one of the gang, lol! Really though, still on the fence. Took it up in the air yesterday, Newer shocks all around, great tires, front bearings had been replaced and in good condition, rear seal looks good, Air blows nicely. The only issue we found at this time was a leak in one of the transmission fluid lines, somewhat a easy fix with compression fittings and some new tubing, very hard to replace the whole tube since it is way up there. I am going to see if I can get the dealer to fix that one. My last concern is gas mileage. I put around 26k a year and this will be my main ride for a least two years.

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Do some searches and you will find several threads discussing fuel economy with the I6 motor.

In summary, you can get up to 24 mpg on the highway on level ground and at 65 or less.

Generally you will be above 20 mpg at 70 and driving normally.

Around town in mixed driving, you are looking at 16+ if you drive conservatively. Stop and go will be much less, naturally.

Those are generalizations. As they say, YMMV.

Just one separate point. Have the complete transmission line replaced. Don't try to fix it, or accept a cobbled repair. Yes the line is "up there" at the transmission, but it may be corroded "up there" as well, and you are only delaying the inevitable replacement of the line(s). Do the repair right! Do some searches and you will find threads discussing this problem as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts