Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help.

HI GUYS ,

I have a 2007 gmc envoy slt , i am currently wanting to upgrade the stereo, i have the metra 70-2003 harness which comes with the seperate red 12 v wire to tap into the fuse box . Ive read up on this and it states to use a multimeter and find the 12v fuse to tap into , using the meter i find no fuse reading 12v with the key in the acc position all fuses read 24v plus, the only fise that read 12v was the radio fuse in the rear seat fuse box. Do i have the wrong harness? Am i doing something wrong? I was told by metra this harness will not retain chime , onstar, etc which i dont care about.

Is there a fuse that anyone knows of that will work?

Please help

·
Registered
326 Posts
i hate to piggyback on an existing fuse. It's not fair to the circuit that it was designed to run and you can cause grief by having more current requirements not only to the fuse, but the wiring that is usually balanced to the factory setup.

There are some UPFITTER circuits in my underhood relay/fuse box.... which is where I'd go for B+.

Be sure to add an inline fuse too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ty but i still cant seem to find a 12v to tap into , went to a shop they were charging 280 dollars , when i can do everything else my self just need to find where to run the 12v wire

Or is there a wire harness i can purchase to avoid this headache

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just reread you first post...... "24 volts"?
How can a 12 volt vehicle have double the voltage of which it is capable?
I suggest your meter isn't accurate... and I'm sorry I missed your statement.

Finding, let alone buying an aftermarket wire loom doesn't bode well either. You will likely have to go to one of the fuse panels (I suggest the front one) ...and add a wire to one of the studs with a larger enough crimp on connector, an inline fuse holder and run through the firewall....

There WILL be circuits that are B+ hot constantly .... some during Accessory .... some during Run .... and a few during Crank.

Don't use Scotchlok-type power taps. These cause a lot of trouble with continuity.

I suggest using one of the existing rubber gromnets as you can usually force a wire beside some of the wires that already go through it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts