Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many have thought about it, few have attempted, even less have succeeded.

the coveted 12" stealth box. this is how we dooz it

Sub this time around, memphis mojo 15-CM12D2. ****er is heavy. it wants under a cube sealed, piece of cake

first lets cut some metal out. this is what i started with

I ended up cutting out a little more off of the bottom after i took this pic

start with the piece of wood that will bond the front of the box with the rear of the box

Here is the finished backside of the box that will be recessed behind the quarter panel

final fitment before going home for the evening...

next on to the cabin part... stay tuned

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A big item to stealth! Looking good so far.

Did you get both front doors done - or is that a whole other topic?:x
hey... sloooowww down... lol stereo is just a fad anyway, who needs left AND right channels?

nah i've been meaning to re-do them, not happy with the tweeters i got, the other ones should have been here before christmas. they sat in the box for a few weeks and when i opened it this week, instead of a set of 1" tweeters they sent me some cheap 2"x4" speakers that look like they go in an old television...

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
2,006 Posts
Looks good bro :thumbsup:, but what's going to happened to your air compressor controls?..or are you just going to do away with those for room for the box?

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good bro :thumbsup:, but what's going to happened to your air compressor controls?..or are you just going to do away with those for room for the box?
I didn't necessarily make concessions for it... But I think I'll be able to work them in. sit tight and stay tuned hommie :)

Wow.. are you willing to put the plans up?
plans would denote planning.. Of which I've done none. It's pretty much seat of the pants engineering. a lot of measure, cut, fit,recut, etc. the back side of the box will yield whatever you can get out of it... then you build the front side big enough to suit your requirements.

Measured the backside this morning, held 11qt of water, or.36 ft3. Not bad but I think my last box gave more volume due to more aggressive geometry

So to get to .92ft3 the wall has to come out 4.25in, plus 1.5in for a double wall baffle total size outside width of 5.75.into the cabin. More pics later once the glue dries :D

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cutting panels is always scary :ugh: my ex girlfriends would blame a fear of commitment...

with the exterior sides built. see the gap on the right? thats where the air controls will go probably

view from the back... 1.5" baffle will be added onto the width...

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
cutting panels is always scary :ugh: my ex girlfriends would blame a fear of commitment...
Man if any female questions your willingness to commit, just show her that panel, and tell her you'll commit to anything deemed worthy enough! :raspberry

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man if any female questions your willingness to commit, just show her that panel, and tell her you'll commit to anything deemed worthy enough! :raspberry
maybe if i was trying to burn the bridge to bootycall land i would

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brace yourselves
..get it.. brace..

structurally done...

now to make it pretty...

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
148 Posts
nice build. ive been going back and forth between going with a similar more stealthy build. or going with a big ole 15 in a big fiberglass box. the practical side of me is warring with the show car side of me lol.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I want one...

Well done. I really like this and my lil 10 would be easier even. HHMMMM...

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want one...

Well done. I really like this and my lil 10 would be easier even. HHMMMM...
Especially now that you are going to need the room for the stroller, pack and play, case of diapers, etc !

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
7 Posts
After you have your box done you should have a fiberglass mold done of it so it can be replicated for production. I am sure others would pay for a piece like this.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if i was going to make a mold, I wouldn't make it of this. the rear side of the box yielded .35ft3, but my last box yielded .40ft3 because last time i went crazy with angle cuts, this time i only wanted 90deg cuts.

I think with a real mold you could net close to .50ft3. I would tape hardboard sides into the quarter panel pocket, fill it with spray foam, then use that as the backside mold. the front side i would make with wood just so it could be customized to different subs.

IDK.. maybe if i wasn't so lazy...

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
i'll admit that my least skilled attribute is box upholstery. its woman's work, lets face it.

I would be completely done but one of the sub bolt nut thingies broke, so have to wait until tomorrow to get another before bolting the sub in there for good.

ran a 20hz tone through it to test for box leaks before the vinyl, everything looked A-OK

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
i'll admit that my least skilled attribute is box upholstery. its woman's work, lets face it.
Just gotta get in touch with your feminine side man. Wear a pink shirt or somethin :p For real though, the box looks good, I'm sure it sounds good too. :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts