Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 isuzu ascender
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the best unexpected Christmas gifts ever on Friday. The first was a letter from the office of admissions at Arizona State University informing us that my oldest had been accepted for immediate enrollment as soon as she graduates next June on a partial-paid academic scholarship. The second was the biggie. It was a phone call from the Athletic Director of the same school offering her a full-ride scholarship to play softball for them her entire college career! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Cha-Ching!!! So either way, she's in! If the softball abilities for some reason fail to meet the grade, she's got the academic partial-ride to fall back on! This is HUGE!!!!! Just last week the Board of Regents approved another tuition hike for all 3 universities here! The best part of all of it is she accomplished everything she has by herself - for herself! I always made it clear to her she didn't have to play softball. If she ever lost interest and/or wanted to play a different sport or not at all, she wasn't obligated in any way to continue. Because she loves the game so much, it allowed me to spend much more time with her than I would have gotten otherwise.

Just wanted to share.

Happy Holidaze!!

Coach Steve
(That title never had more meaning to me than it does at this moment!)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
303 Posts
Congratulations sir!! Sounds like everything paid off for you in the biggest way, and that's always good.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
605 Posts
With all the bad news we hear about,day in and day out, it is truly refreshing to hear great news and things happening in people's lives!!!! I guess us TrailVoyers have a new Sun Devil to root for on the ladies diamond for the next few years!!! Congratulations and best of luck to both of you! :)

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
Congrats from another proud parent. As others have said, in this world today there is so much negative news about todays youth and to hear the positive stuff is very enlightening.
Sounds like you raised a pretty good girl there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,121 Posts
Congratulations to you both! Obviously a well deserved honor (on both your parts)!

·
Premium Member
2003 isuzu ascender
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats from another proud parent. As others have said, in this world today there is so much negative news about todays youth and to hear the positive stuff is very enlightening.
Sounds like you raised a pretty good girl there. :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

Yeah, ya know I could have it a lot worse that's for sure. But luckily both of my daughters (the younger one is almost 15) are straight 'A' students, wouldn't miss a day of school if you paid them, are very popular (just ask them) are both "hotties" (again, just ask them) and are as different as night and day! And they fight about E V E R Y T H I N G ! ! In any given conversation one of them has to be "righter" than the other one and at that moment you'd think that the future of the human race was dependent upon either of them winning the arguement-of-the-moment! And it happens a dozen times a day - or more. But just you try and step in or say something about one of them and the other hears about it..... God help you! Regarding my oldest...I actually feel sorry for the first guy she gets serious with that hurts her. For being a jock, you;d never know it. She's average build except in the legs which are a bit more muscular looking than the average anorexic 17 year old but nothing about her look gives away the fact that she is SOLID muscle! She's been able to out-throw me since she was 12 - and I'm no slouch. I played catcher for 12 years through my soph year of college and got souted by the SF Giants but due to knee probs, I never could have played pro ball. Anyway, I digress.... She has an arm that impresses even the boys on the baseball team. She can throw a ball from deep-left center field and reach homeplate - without a bounce! The best part about this ride over the years is that her attitude has always been, "Softball is what I do, it's not who I am." And for that reason, she's always loved the game - and the fact that whenever she's playing SS she loves the look onb the girl's face at 1B when she is sending a ball there to beat the runner out of a single! You can see the "this is gonna hurt" look on the 1B player's face in those situations. LOL!! Hell, I've been in that exact situation and let me tell you there's nothing soft about a 12" ball coming at you at around 70+ MPH! LOL!

Regards,
Coach

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,786 Posts
Congrats on your good fortune. Great news to hear. I don't know if you are finacially able, but maybe you could invest the money that would have gone to college and give them the money as a grad gift or something for their accomplishment. Though, don't know what you could invest in in today's market :eek::ugh:.

None the less, you did well! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,292 Posts
Congrats to your Daughter & You, nice perk for someone striving to be a positive influence in many young lives... Keepup the Good work there DaddyO:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts
Congratulations on your news! Quite the Christmas present. A local girl here just signed with Penn State to play softball, but she is pretty much talented in any sport she plays. I'm hoping to get the same news in about 5 or 6 yrs with my son in baseball. He is a catcher for his travel team and loves it. We are currently working with an assistant coach from the local college who coaches their catchers. I'm kind of the same way with him, if he wants to play it...go for it, but you will do it on your own. I'll help in any way I can, but he has to show that he is "just that much better" than the next kid wanting that spot. My mom never would sign the permission form for me to play football in HS and I regret it to this day. Maybe I could have been the next Urlacher!

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Great stuff Steve!

Gotta love the girl(s) when they put it all together :thumbsup:

Coming from another proud father with two girls. However my girls fastball lasted only 3 years and then she dicovered boys. :weird: :bonk: :crackup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
congrats man.. and best of luck to her... got any pics ;) lol j.k

hope it works out well for her.. my sister had a full ride but it was retracted when she blew out her knee batting and wasnt allowed to play any sports anymore.. and she was a great damn pitcher..

again congrats and best of luck to u and her... :tiphat

1 - 20 of 23 Posts