Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 trailblazer ext and I have 255 75 r17 on it and was going to go to a 265 70 r17 but it is hard to find tires that are aggressive they all seem to be 10 ply. Will the 10 ply work for my I am in iowa so there is snow and ice

·
Registered
2008 Trailblazer LT RWD 4.2 I6
3 Posts
I have a 03 trailblazer ext and I have 255 75 r17 on it and was going to go to a 265 70 r17 but it is hard to find tires that are aggressive they all seem to be 10 ply. Will the 10 ply work for my I am in iowa so there is snow and ice

Are you offroading? Are you likely to run your tires at a very low pressure in order to have the most strength for your flexibility? Do you need them to last you for years and years?
Are you worried about a heavier tire reducing your MPG about one or two? They all apply.

Have you been in the market recently? Have you seen the new hybrids? The cross between Mud and All Terrain tires? They are about as sexy and aggressive as it gets.
Have you watched the video comparisons on Youtube? I love 'em! absolutely invaluable:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I'm going to totally disregard that post (above) because it does not address your needs as you stated them.

You live in snow country and those pretty tires all appear to be "P-Metrics" which have never worked for me when I have to get serious about snow and getting into and back out of bad situations.

I tow a 6x12, 2-axle trailer with over 7000 lbs in it when I go for firewood and those tires WILL not work - HAVE not worked and WON'T pull hard enough to get out of the snow at higher altitudes when I return.

Narrow --- LT-type tires (Light Truck) have a more stabile sidewall and I have found that P-Metrics cannot get deep into the snow because they have a larger cross section and float on the snow.

"Pizza cutter" tires with aggressive tread, a snowflake and taller by ratio (75s or 80s) are the best things I've ever used in snow --- up to headlight depths anyway.

·
Registered
2008 Trailblazer LT RWD 4.2 I6
3 Posts
this guy has a lot to say about these Toyo tires:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to totally disregard that post (above) because it does not address your needs as you stated them.

You live in snow country and those pretty tires all appear to be "P-Metrics" which have never worked for me when I have to get serious about snow and getting into and back out of bad situations.

I tow a 6x12, 2-axle trailer with over 7000 lbs in it when I go for firewood and those tires WILL not work - HAVE not worked and WON'T pull hard enough to get out of the snow at higher altitudes when I return.

Narrow --- LT-type tires (Light Truck) have a more stabile sidewall and I have found that P-Metrics cannot get deep into the snow because they have a larger cross section and float on the snow.

"Pizza cutter" tires with aggressive tread, a snowflake and taller by ratio (75s or 80s) are the best things I've ever used in snow --- up to headlight depths anyway.
I use them for on road some off road I do pull trailers and work in a rock quarry. My main worry is how will the handle on snow and ice on the road I am looking at some MT tires by milestar patagonia MT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts