Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a deal on some 1/2 ton chevy aftermarket wheels and 245/75/16 BFG tires.

So my quest began to get them on my truck. I saw in the will it fit section that they should with a spacer. I did not just need a spacer, but an adapter to change from 6x5 to 6x5.5 lug pattern. I checked everywhere I could and decided that I needed hub-centric, but since I often switch rims, I did not need or want wheel centric.

I got these
for $149 shipped with lug nuts. They seen quite well built and are the good aluminum. The hub fit pretty tight as well.

The adapters are 1.3 inch thick and built reallly well from what I knpw.

Now the install..

First I jacked it up and removed the stock tires and wheel, as well as the the little keeper clips on the studs. There were two per wheel. I installed the front one and got proper tightness by having a friend hold the brakes while torquing down. I heard that 1.3 may not be enough, but when installed I used a straight edge and none of the stock studs came past the spacer, so I was good to go.

I then installed a new wheel and tightened it down properly..

I did the same to the front on the other side, but then the back was not such a great and enjoyable situation. I found that on the rear, the 1.3 in adapters were not thick enough to countersink the factory studs. They factory studs all need ground down about .1 or so inches. I had a grinder, but the blade was cracked and in the concern of safety, I called it a night and will get a blade today and finish the rear install.

The front looks good and does not appear to rub, but does have minimal clearance, but I am really impressed with the adapter I chose and the little trailblazer should be a bit more offroad ready when complete. And I now have a lot more options for rims and hopefully wil find some meatier tires soon.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i get wheel centric to one set of rims, I could possibly need a different set when I switch rims. I already have deal working to get a set of stock z71 wheels this weekend. I like to buy and clena up wheels then trade them or sell them to get different ones. I do not know what wheels i will end up with long-term, so I need to be able to fit any wheels on there.

i do not go hard-core wheeling, I have a suburban, and atv if I want to do that. We just have 255 acres of playground that i want to enjoy, I feel I am more than safe for my needs.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If i get wheel centric to one set of rims, I could possibly need a different set when I switch rims.
I just think you have the terms reversed. Hubcentric adapters have a lip that goes into the wheel to make sure the adapter, and not its threaded studs, are doing the centering.

The adapters should have been drilled with a centerbore that matches the vehicle's 78.3mm lip. That makes your spacer/adapters hubcentric to the vehicle, and wheel (or lug, or stud)-centric to the wheel.

There are two interfaces, and each one can be classified, but we always assume the spacer/adapter is centerbored properly to match the vehicle, so that interface is hubcentric.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. The adapter is matched to the vehicles hub, but the wheel is only on the studs of the adapter.

All aftermarket rims I have had on other vehicles previously did not match the vehicles hub, so I assume with these adapters mounted solidly, The set-up I have now is just as strong as aftermarket wheels that do not match the factory hubs. I know there are some different forces from the the adapters pushing out the wheels, but either way the wheels that are not factory would only be held on by the studs/lugs.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just think you have the terms reversed. Hubcentric adapters have a lip that goes into the wheel to make sure the adapter, and not its threaded studs, are doing the centering.

The adapters should have been drilled with a centerbore that matches the vehicle's 78.3mm lip. That makes your spacer/adapters hubcentric to the vehicle, and wheel (or lug, or stud)-centric to the wheel.

There are two interfaces, and each one can be classified, but we always assume the spacer/adapter is centerbored properly to match the vehicle, so that interface is hubcentric.
SO...

The adapters are hubcentric to the vehicle and wheel-centric to the wheel. Which is how all aftermarket wheels generally are, since they often do not match a factory hub since they are built to fit a multitude of vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts