Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
is there anything that may need cleaning ? Like the 3 terminals I see , or do they just go bad and that is it ?

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
Thank you for the info and picture, it helps a lot. I would not know much on how to test each circuit as you advised, so maybe my best route to go would be an entire new motor for 140 . shame we had an 05 envoy in the yard 2 days ago before i knew about this motor, lol, so now its in the bin and gone to Detroit for shreading ((
Hendrob,
I picked up 2 Encoder Motors at a U-Pull & Pay (junk yard where you pull parts off yourself) for $15.00 each. I went through two in about 2 1/2 years, one was under warranty, I figured if I get a year or so out of each one, I would save about $100.00. Now I carry a spare !

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
do they just go bad and that is it ?
My original encoder in my 02 Trailblazer was not serviceable. By this I mean it could not be opened without destroying it. Once opened I found a cracked solder joint and the resistive material was degraded from vibration. The replacement part was an open construction allowing dirt and debris to be cleaned out if one wished to try that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
thanks very much gentlemen , I will pull it off and check solder joints and dirt , see if I can do anything at all and will try to find another at scrap yard as well , thank you again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi friends , just an update, I got the replacement Transfer Case Module today . before install, I crossed the positive and negative to clear everything off . Plugged in the replacement transfer case module , there was no more wrench lit up on the dash and it never came on , but the stabilitrac light came on , now it is on and wont shut off with the shifter button and also I have no lights on the 2WD High low AWD selector , its showing nothing . I have not done anything yet with the transaxle shift motor. Any ideas ? Is the shift motor the next thing ? Thank you , Bob

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,241 Posts
Sounds like you have another bad TCCM. Did you check the ATC fuse (#8 in the front fuse box)? May want to plug the original in and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That would be the fuse box under the hood. I will check that and try the old module as well . Thanks very much !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
well fellows, just an update, fuse was good, got a new sensor, just put it in , put my old module in and it does the exact same thing it did before . you select 4wd 2 wd hi low whatever and it blinks on the selection for 5 secs or so and then AUTO lights up once again . and I replaced switch . so now all i can think is the shift motor is stuck ??? the lady i bought this truck from said it has not worked for 3 years or so, she just drove it . I like to have stuff working , any thoughts gentleman ? thanks, Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
pulled apart transaxle shift motor , armature hardly will turn by hand, so figure its junk, also broke one of the rusted screws taking the cover off

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
If we are speaking of the transfer case shift motor there is an electric brake in the motor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
yes, sorry that is what I mean't, transfer case shift motor , i tried hooking power to the red and black going to the motor but could not get it to work and may have now ruined the part. I don't know , I was trying to avoid taking it to the dealer. Maybe I just should have done that , put a new sensor in and it still did the same as it did before , it blinks wherever you set the selector on the dash then AUTO lights up, that's all it does . Im just buying **** and nothing is helping the problem of not being able to select anything . anyone know if you turn the front wheels while off the ground should you be able to move that gear that comes out of the transfer case to the shift motor , should you be able to move that manually with a vive grip or something with a rag on it so as to not damage the gear ? should it move ? thanks,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just to close this off incase someone is having the same problem. Initial problem dash selector for 4x4 stayed in auto and blinked when you selected anything else , 4x4 did not work. replaced Shift motor , not the problem . Problem ended up being the tan colored wire to the transfer case shift motor was not getting power . it was a break / corrosion in the tan wire that goes to the wiring harness right next to the under hood fuse box and to the shift control module. Fixed the break in the wire and all is good now, and working fine the break was on the frame on driver side right where a metal thing is to hold all the wiring in place , replaced a 6 inch section of the tan wire and all good

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
179 Posts
Just to close this off incase someone is having the same problem. Initial problem dash selector for 4x4 stayed in auto and blinked when you selected anything else , 4x4 did not work. replaced Shift motor , not the problem . Problem ended up being the tan colored wire to the transfer case shift motor was not getting power . it was a break / corrosion in the tan wire that goes to the wiring harness right next to the under hood fuse box and to the shift control module. Fixed the break in the wire and all is good now, and working fine the break was on the frame on driver side right where a metal thing is to hold all the wiring in place , replaced a 6 inch section of the tan wire and all good
Good you got it sussed . Thanks for that report . ;)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts