Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have had an issue with my 2008 Chevy trailblazer for the past two years or so. :( Every so often, the engine temperature gauge fails to work as I start the car and begin driving... it stays down on the cold spot. When that problem appears, it usually lasts for several days, and then the Engine Temperature Gauge mysteriously starts working again. Whenever the issue happens, the A/C will not work, but there is plenty of heat available from the heater in the cabin, so I know that the engine coolant thermostat is working as it should. :) The OBDII throws a code that says something like the engine coolant temperature is below normal.

I have searched the internet for quite some time, with no real solution. Some suggest that the problem is with the Engine Control Temperature Sensor (ECTS). In my many years of being a shade-tree mechanic, I have never encountered a sensor that works sometimes, and sometimes not. In other words, whenever a sensor dies, its dead, and does not 'come back to life'! But.....

I did find a 'Yahoo Answers' web page that concerns this issue ( with an '08 Chevy Traiblazer ), but the only really viable answer was posted by "Tim" and he posted : "This is a simple fix. It is a ground problem." That was his answer, but there is no specific direction in his answer.. :duh: Due to the intermittent nature of the issue, I suspect that 'Tim' is correct, that there is probably a bad ground, somewhere in the circuit.

The issue really shows up over the wet winter months here in Northern California. Once it starts raining, the problem is present for the winter. Once again, it can a happen at any time of the year, but is most prevalent ( and long-lasting) in the rainy winter months.

Two years ago, my brother-in-law passed away in February. I drove the Trailblazer ( with the ECTS not working ) down to Mesa, AZ for his Memorial Service. Once we reached the warm Southwest, the engine temperature gauge came back to life, and stayed alive until we returned back home to a wintry Northern CA, where it went back into hibernation :sleepy: until Spring.

Other answers on that web page that concern the issue say that it 'Could Be' :undecided the ECTS, the car's computer, or a bad instrument cluster. Some have replaced the ECTS, and the problem came back. I would think that GM would have a service bulletin dealing with this issue, but I haven't been able to find one yet....... Thank You for your time.....

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,452 Posts
Since you have an OBDII code calling for a temp issue, this can't be the cluster (stepper motor). It is either the ECTS or a wiring issue. I would suggest checking the wire connection at the ECTS first, if this looks OK, then change the sensor. Wiring can be a difficult task. This is not a grounding issue since it is a two wire circuit going to the ECM.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

:thx EnvoyBoy2004 for your reply. What you said about a ground issue makes sense! I will go ahead and order a new ECTS. Here's another question: My Trailblazer is a 2008 with the 4.2 inline six. I have been given two possible locations for the ECTS on the engine...one is on the left front side of the engine, below the alternator. The second location is near the rear of the cylinder head on the right side of the engine. I cannot see the ECTS at either location, due to engine components obstructing the view. Can anyone tell me at which location the ECTS will be?

The auto manufacturers have sure made it much more difficult to locate and/or repair anything on the engine in the later models cars & trucks. I'm sure that this is intentional to discourage the shade tree mechanics from repairing the own vehicles, and also jacking up the labor expense when having repairs made at a shop.The simplicity of making repairs on my '57 Chevy station wagon is much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's What I was Afraid Of.......

Hi! :thx Thanks again for your help. One has to wonder why Chevrolet put the ECTS in such a difficult spot to access. :confused: I wonder what the Flat Rate Manual labor figure is for the ECTS replacement on these vehicles?

I looked at the area and I wonder if my aging, overweight body is up to the task... :ugh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
08 TB temp gauge not working

I've had this issue since the summer, and finally the gauge quit working all together 2 weeks ago. Same code mentioned, so I had the sensor replaced. (1.5 hours at the shop). Picked it up and the gauge worked until the next morning when it quit again. Onto more research I guess!

·
Registered
1 Posts
08 TB temp gauge not working

I've had this issue since the summer, and finally the gauge quit working all together 2 weeks ago. Same code mentioned, so I had the sensor replaced. (1.5 hours at the shop). Picked it up and the gauge worked until the next morning when it quit again. Onto more research I guess!
Thanks!

:thx EnvoyBoy2004 for your reply. What you said about a ground issue makes sense! I will go ahead and order a new ECTS. Here's another question: My Trailblazer is a 2008 with the 4.2 inline six. I have been given two possible locations for the ECTS on the engine...one is on the left front side of the engine, below the alternator. The second location is near the rear of the cylinder head on the right side of the engine. I cannot see the ECTS at either location, due to engine components obstructing the view. Can anyone tell me at which location the ECTS will be?

The auto manufacturers have sure made it much more difficult to locate and/or repair anything on the engine in the later models cars & trucks. I'm sure that this is intentional to discourage the shade tree mechanics from repairing the own vehicles, and also jacking up the labor expense when having repairs made at a shop.The simplicity of making repairs on my '57 Chevy station wagon is much appreciated! :)
I had the same problem with my 08 Envoy. Took to 2 different repair shops and still problem come back. Finally I took to another shop they replaced sensor with p/n TS57280 form NAPA and it has been 3 months and more than 3000 miles and a/c works perfect

1 - 7 of 7 Posts