Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 5.3 V8 LT3. I am getting right around 19 MPGs on the highway. I just towed my boat for the first time over the weekend. The boat decked out, trailer included, weighs in just under 5,500 lbs. I know that I am pushing my 6,000 lbs tow rating, but my highway mileage was awefully low. I was averaging about 7.8 at 65 MPH on the highway.

Can anyone tell me if that is normal or if I can improve that in any way?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
" I was averaging about 7.8 at 65 MPH on the highway."

I think that may be part of your problem... youre going too fast pulling a heavy load... try 55 or 60 next time.
you need to tell us what rear end gears you have.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
Actually I do think that's a bit low. I get about 12 on average towing a box down the road. I drive a little over 60. Granted, I'm towing a lot less weight, but you don't have nearly as much wind resistance. Wind resistance has more effect on mileage than weight. I also have 3:42 gears. For grins, try running 60 and see how much of an improvement you get. I'm betting you'll get closer to 10. You don't say if you tow on a lot of hills or in mountains. Also, are you towing into the wind a lot? Those factors can kill mileage real quick. I drop down to 9 when towing into the wind.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in Indiana, so not many hills. There was a light wind but nothing much to speak of. I will try dropping to 60 and see what that does. Thanks.

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
Crap man that's low mileage, I have towed my s-10 on a 20' trailer and averaged 16 mpg @ 65mph. I have the 3:73 gears....towed all on the flats here in TX.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
228 Posts
that is normal

Towed my 95 T-bird to Carlisle PA from NJ about 250 miles each way and got about 9 miles per gallon. Boats are heavy and sometimes you don't realize fuel weight...

Towed my buddys 23 ft Aquasport and it weighed over 8000 lbs loaded fuel and motor...wow that was fun!!!

Anyway, would not worry about it. The gears don't help you either.

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts