Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 SS and it only has 15,000 miles on it, I went to start it up today and I have NO power at all and I can't get the key out of the ignition. :confused:

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You have two options: jump start the truck and get the battery at enough power to release the key. or if you just need the key, you can take apart the steering column to get to the release. I'll try to find instructions on how to properly do it and post back!

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
There is a relase you can push in to get your key out. It could be a dead battery or even and ignition switch.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
some of the TB had a little hole on the bottom where you could insert a screwdriver and push and the key came out...

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
It means your battery is completly dead, charge battery a bit and key will come out...but find out why your battery is completly drained, mine was due to a faulty On Star Module. Get it checked:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
60 Posts
It's happened to me too... our batteries don't like to be left idle (not used) for more than 3-4 days....

I have a solar charger plugged into the cigarette lighter, and it appears to extend that to 5-7 days, since I only drive her on the weekends usually...

I bought her 8/2/2007 and only have 6,100 miles...

I have an 07 SS and it only has 15,000 miles on it, I went to start it up today and I have NO power at all and I can't get the key out of the ignition. :confused:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
There is no way a good battery in a properly-running truck will die in three or four days. Not even in three or four WEEKS.

You need to load test the battery. If it passes, you need to check for a parasitic draw. (Make sure your mechanic is aware that the Trailblazers can sometimes take up to 8 hours for all the various modules and computers to go to 'sleep' before testing.)

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
There is no way a good battery in a properly-running truck will die in three or four days. Not even in three or four WEEKS.

You need to load test the battery. If it passes, you need to check for a parasitic draw. (Make sure your mechanic is aware that the Trailblazers can sometimes take up to 8 hours for all the various modules and computers to go to 'sleep' before testing.)
Not true, my battery was draining in 6 days. It would all depend on the draw wouldn't it? The On Star Module doesn't go to sleep. I would think neither would the Alarm Module if there is one.

·
Banned
522 Posts
I dont think this will get the key out but if you need to shift into Neutral to move it for a jump this will help, because I'm sure you cant shift either

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The On Star Module doesn't go to sleep.
I was curious about this as well, given the OnStar capability to unlock doors and so forth.

The shop manual says that the OnStar module has three states. High, Low, and Sleep. High power is normal running mode. Low power state is entered after the ignition is OFF and the RAP has timed out. It allows incoming cell calls to be received if you've just exited the car, for instance. In the Sleep state, incoming call calls (or OnStar inquiries) cannot be recognized.

Every nine minutes, the module wakes up for one minute to listen for OnStar commands like the door unlock code. OnStar central computers can sync their clocks with the vehicle's clocks, given that they use precise GPS time codes, and then OnStar KNOWS when the module is likely to wake up for the door unlock signal. So they don't waste their time broadcasting when they know the module is not listening.

After 48 hours, it quits waking up to the low power state and goes permanently to sleep, waiting for another ignition ON signal.

An OnStar module that fails to run this process would certainly drain the battery, as could any other zombie module.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
off topic-- but now that you mention the time/GPS....
but I did figure that the GPS satellites were transmitting time signals.
I noticed my Garmin GPS running watch- always has the updated time...

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
I was curious about this as well, given the OnStar capability to unlock doors and so forth.

The shop manual says that the OnStar module has three states. High, Low, and Sleep. High power is normal running mode. Low power state is entered after the ignition is OFF and the RAP has timed out. It allows incoming cell calls to be received if you've just exited the car, for instance. In the Sleep state, incoming call calls (or OnStar inquiries) cannot be recognized.

Every nine minutes, the module wakes up for one minute to listen for OnStar commands like the door unlock code. OnStar central computers can sync their clocks with the vehicle's clocks, given that they use precise GPS time codes, and then OnStar KNOWS when the module is likely to wake up for the door unlock signal. So they don't waste their time broadcasting when they know the module is not listening.

After 48 hours, it quits waking up to the low power state and goes permanently to sleep, waiting for another ignition ON signal.

An OnStar module that fails to run this process would certainly drain the battery, as could any other zombie module.
off topic(a bit)

Roadie, I just got to say you always seem to have an answer that is clear and precise:thumbsup:. You often blow me away with the posts you reply to. I guess looking at your latest photo shoot I can see why you are the Roadie. You must get tons of pm's. Sure happy your a member on this awesome web site.
:tiphat:tiphat:tiphat:tiphat:tiphat:tiphat:tiphat:tiphat:tiphat:tiphat:tiphat

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... you always seem to have an answer that is clear and precise...
Aw, shucks. Thx. I'm between jobs at the moment, but I was in electronic systems engineering and tech writing, I read the shop manual from cover to cover as soon as I bought the vehicle and got the manual, and I'm just a curious guy who HATES mysteries about how things work.

Now, know anybody hiring for field service or new product launch management of large systems such as medical lab equipment, security screening, or semiconductor processing equipment?

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
96 Posts
Aw, shucks. Thx. I'm between jobs at the moment, but I was in electronic systems engineering .......

Now, know anybody hiring for field service or new product launch management of large systems such as medical lab equipment, security screening, or semiconductor processing equipment?
Hmmmm, maybe..... but it would require a move east of about 3000 miles. New York State is sinking millions into a "Tech Valley" project they have been talking about for 4-5 years....shovel is to go to ground sometime this spring. Somehow, with the state of the economy in these parts, I doubt this comes to fruition....that's my :m2:

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
Hmmmm, maybe..... but it would require a move east of about 3000 miles. New York State is sinking millions into a "Tech Valley" project they have been talking about for 4-5 years....shovel is to go to ground sometime this spring. Somehow, with the state of the economy in these parts, I doubt this comes to fruition....that's my :m2:
Come North...It's like Tech Valley here in Waterloo, Ontario...home of the Blackberry!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts