Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the 07 head be put on an 04 engine??? i know there is people talking about swapping to the 06 head but is there any difference that will not allow an 07 head to work on the 04 engine? also what all parts are needed to complete the swap?

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
Can the 07 head be put on an 04 engine??? i know there is people talking about swapping to the 06 head but is there any difference that will not allow an 07 head to work on the 04 engine? also what all parts are needed to complete the swap?
The 07 head is carry over from 06. I don't know of any differences that would prevent you from doing this. Only complication that I forsee is that GM uses torque-to-yield fasteners, so, you'd probably have to stock up on dealer stuff.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
419 Posts
I'm sure it is easily possible, but to see the gains wouldn't you need MAF/PCM/ETC along with the swap... I am sure you will have no problem with it, but it seems pricey if you are doing this just for the turbo route... it seems like there should be an easier way to get around this...

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
117 Posts
I too am interested in knowing if there is merit to swap a head from an '06 up model. I would think that mechanically there would be no limitation and the older PCM likely should be able to handle it. My guess is that some substantial tuning would be required for the different cams and port sizes. Certainly, would like to know if someone has looked into this. My reference from the SBC is that this is type of swap would not be complicated but by comparison almost everything performance-wise about the 4.2 is.

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
I would be hard to justify a 06+ head swap unless you need a head anyway or plan on swapping over the PCM too.

Figure $500 for the head, probably a couple hundred in gaskets and fasteners. At best, you're looking at a 15hp gain, probably less without the PCM. For $700, I'd probably start with tune, catback, and custom header. But, I think McKinley is thinking turbo, so...

Might be cheaper/easier to swap the entire engine and then sell your core.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Figure $500 for the head.....

Might be cheaper/easier to swap the entire engine and then sell your core.
The BARE cylinder head is $500....add machine work, 24 valves, keepers, locks, gaskets, etc, etc........:eek:

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
The BARE cylinder head is $500....add machine work, 24 valves, keepers, locks, gaskets, etc, etc........:eek:
I was thinking pull-off, but good point. Just checked car-part.com. Heads are going for $250, engines as cheap as $600. I'd go with the engine swap. Save a lot of hassle. Plus you get better rings and piston squirters. :woot:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yah...i'm working on a turbo set up right now... we have the p10 idling with a two bar map sensor in it and a prototype two bar tune... the transition coming off idle is smooth too but we are running into some excess fuel once it trys to rev...we are working more on the tables as i speak so we'll see what it does...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts