Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,
my transmission line is leaking at the cooler. I thought maybe it had simply worked itself loose and I when I went to put a wrench on it I found that there is an outside "gasket" blocking access. What am I facing here - a specific tool or procedure I need to follow? Any tips tricks or hacks? Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
510 Posts
Are you talking about where the transmission oil line goes in the radiator? If yes, then I think the "gasket" you refer to is just a piece of plastic that snaps onto the fitting. It should pull (or pry) off quite easily. Then there is a horseshoe like clip that locks the transmission oil line in place. There are different tools to remove the horseshoe clip, but I like this one the best:

Once you remove the plastic cover, start the engine and see where exactly the ATF is leaking from - between the line and the fitting, or where the fitting screws into the radiator. Perhaps the transmission line itself has rusted through at the fitting.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You, that is exactly what I needed to see. I just got the truck yesterday, and the lines look brand new, so no rust issues here, but now I have a clear idea of how the connection works, so maybe there's a chance I can tighten things up.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just as an FYI, the seal is inside of the fitting that screws into the radiator. I do not know if it is replaceable. Here is what the connector looks like:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm afraid mine was over tightened...how would I go about fixing it?

·
Registered
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More exactly, how much trans fluid can I expect to loose when I remove the passenger side connection?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Regarding the over tightening, is the plastic tank on the side of the radiator where the fitting screws into cracked? If it is, then you'll likely need to replace the radiator because the crack will only get worse and antifreeze will begin to leak as well. Yes, the side tanks are replaceable, but it is likely less expensive to replace the radiator than it is to just replacing the tank.

Regarding ATF loss, less than a quart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts