Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Envoy has 197,000 miles on it. So two weeks ago my wife was driving my envoy and called me to tell me it was driving poorly. Said it wasn’t shifting and just revving. Said she lost acceleration. I test drove it and sure enough it’s struggling to shift into 3rd and not shifting into 4th at all. I watched a couple videos of people having similar issues and for the most part it seemed like it may have been the shift solenoids. Took the truck to a mechanic friend and he dropped the pan. Found some metal shavings. Cleaned it out, changed the filter, changed the solenoids, new fluid and he put in some “stop-slip”. Test drove it and still no change. He said the trans will most likely need to be replaced. He quoted me $2800-$3000. While I have some automotive knowledge, it’s limited. How much would a decent trans shop charge to either rebuild the trans or replace it? Or any other possible solutions? Trucks not throwing any codes. I honestly want to try to exhaust any avenue I can before deciding to part ways with the envoy. I love this truck and want to do anything I can to keep it on the road. I just can’t afford a $3000 fix right now. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and hope everyone has a very happy new year!

·
Registered
2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT EXT
454 Posts
That quote from your mechanic seems quite fair in my opinion.
Not what you want to hear I'm sure.

If you were doing it yourself then you could probably spend about $1500 total in parts, fluid, jack rental.
Sorry

·
Registered
2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT
315 Posts
Im having issues as well and was quoted 2800 $ For removal and install plus heavy duty clutches and torque converter. Im sroping the truck off friday to see if my mechanic can scan it for any trans codes. I only have 125,000 miles on the truck and had the pan dropped in october of last year.

·
Registered
Magnetic Red Metallic Envoy XUV w/SLT trim
83 Posts
I have an '02 ZR2 with similar symptoms, same transmission, 4l60e, big local trans shop said $1995 + tax including labor. I was able to talk then down under 1500 but I bought a loaded low mileage Envoy XUV and am trying to sell the ZR2. It's a shame because I just put new General Grabber ATX tires and slotted/drilled/coated rotors & coated calipers on it, so about 1000 just invested--tires have around 700 miles on them--nubs didn't wear off yet--brakes have even less miles.

A friend said he'd put a junkyard trans in it in his yard but I already arranged the Envoy... Junkyards often give some warranty, either 30-90 days or 1000-3000 miles, and can be found as low as a couple hundred $. I think that quote you got is closer to dealership prices... high. Call all over the place starting in your phonebook...then check craigslist for transmission dealers. The general price is around 1995 and you have it back the same or next day around here...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts