Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for recommendations on a full parts list and or partial list if you have done this delete before and have recommendations because of parts you like or dislike ( so that I’ll know to avoid them ) .
All I want is to keep it stock ( ish ) not looking to hotrod the family travel vehicle. But I am planning on replacing
1. Oil pump
2. Timing chain
3. Cam & lifters
I’ve seen some delete kits but I don’t know what is considered to be a complete kit .
Any advice would be appreciated.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,194 Posts
Are we (I use the Royal We to mean: "YOU") talking about a DOD engine of the 5.3 variety?

If you wanna delete anything -- I think it's best that you (and "I" am not included this time) should investigate this for yourself.

These things seem to bust up a bunch of people with a lot of different ideas and purposes for whatever it is to which you (and again, not "ME" here either) want to do.

#1 ---> what engine- vehicle-year-model-trim-codes-problems-reasons why you ask these questions ---- etc ... do you wanna talk about here?
There are many choices.​
We (that's US, but not "YOU") have no real idea what it is you (this is really: "YOU" this time) want.​
#2 ---> More information from you --- (the real "YOU" this time.)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are we (I use the Royal We to mean: "YOU") talking about a DOD engine of the 5.3 variety?

If you wanna delete anything -- I think it's best that you (and "I" am not included this time) should investigate this for yourself.

These things seem to bust up a bunch of people with a lot of different ideas and purposes for whatever it is to which you (and again, not "ME" here either) want to do.

#1 ---> what engine- vehicle-year-model-trim-codes-problems-reasons why you ask these questions ---- etc ... do you wanna talk about here?
There are many choices.​
We (that's US, but not "YOU") have no real idea what it is you (this is really: "YOU" this time) want.​
#2 ---> More information from you --- (the real "YOU" this time.)
Ok I agree with you 100%.
I thought I included more info but I can see my intent did not match my actions. I would offer some excuse’s but it is what it is, I’ll try to do better.

It’s a 2007 GMC Envoy Denali with 150,000ish miles, I think I’m the 4th owner with no real knowledge of it’s past life before 109,000 miles. But I do think someone for reasons unknown did some repairs.

The advice I’m seeking is what parts would need to do the complete job. I know I need a cam ( stock will be fine ) ( 1 bolt or 3 ? ) ( GM, Comp, Brian Tooley, Scoggin-Dickey, ext. ?) lifters ( reliable not fancy ), gaskets ( fel pro ? ), valley cover, head bolts. In addition to that stuff I’m going to change the oil pump ( melling?)and timing chain (?) , balancer bolt. Some of these parts are listed simply because they are commonly listed in some kits but not all and I don’t know what brands are good anymore or what suppliers are reputable. I also know there’s lots of varying opinions but I want to hear some of the different opinions . Also I would love to hear about possible pitfalls that might cost me time and money, brands or suppliers to avoid.

I’ve been coming to this forum for years and getting help with issues. I’ve joined at least three times but when my email changes I have to join again or if I forget my password. I usually can find the info I need by reading through other people’s posts but I haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for yet.

Thanks to everyone.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,194 Posts
Nothing personal here --- you can do you, but I wouldn't do what you're asking at all.

As far as harvesting parts names and numbers for you by other people --- I think you're on your own there.

If you're agonizing on options of how you can repair something by asking other to do the grunt work for you --- I'm out.

Do your own research.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing personal here --- you can do you, but I wouldn't do what you're asking at all.

As far as harvesting parts names and numbers for you by other people --- I think you're on your own there.

If you're agonizing on options of how you can repair something by asking other to do the grunt work for you --- I'm out.

Do your own research.
I wasn’t asking you or anyone else to do anything they wasn’t willing to do for a stranger. I’ve been a member of several forums ( HD , Home repair, gardening,ext. ) I respond to post if I have something to offer. Take it or leave it, it’s free and you get what you pay for .

Perhaps someone else will kick in with some usable conversion. I know there’s some members with some advice for me ( helpful advice that is ).

Good night Ravioli lol.

· Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
524 Posts
PCM of NC has a program where you send in your PCM (or they send a loaner or they program a replacement and send it back to you) and you can have the DOD/AGM disabled. I'd look into it if I where you before making a decision. Their customer service is top notch and will answer any questions you may have.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PCM of NC has a program where you send in your PCM (or they send a loaner or they program a replacement and send it back to you) and you can have the DOD/AGM disabled. I'd look into it if I where you before making a decision. Their customer service is top notch and will answer any questions you may have.
Thanks for the reply. But I have a collapsed lifter so I’m definitely doing the delete.
I’m going to give them a call to see if they will program my pcm after I choose my parts.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahaaaaaaaaa! NOW the collapsed lifter raises it's head.

I'm out. Next time tell the whole story.
Your out … Your in ….. come on man which is it.

Yes I have a collapsed lifter on number seven.
I started pulling it apart yesterday, I didn’t have much time to work on it. But I removed coils & bracket , valve cover, rocker arms and rail and push rods on the odd bank side. Everything was in good shape with no damage so I’m hopeful I caught it before any real damage occurred but we’ll see. I’ve been trying to upload a video every since I started this post but it ain’t cooperating so I’ll post it win I can.

· Vendor
2007 chevy
497 Posts
I would use the opportunity to do an aftermarket cam personally. Doesn't have to be a whopper cam and we have some that can reuse stock valvesprings also, but since you have to change it anyway it makes sense.

We offer a DOD delete kit as well as a cam install kit (depending on what all you are wanting to replace) also the tuning to go along with it, whether just to disable DOD or do a full performance tune.

The LS7 lifters or COMP 850-16 are great drop ins. Replace the lifter trays also while you are there. The GM timing chain will be fine for this. In an 07 you would have a single bolt cam. There are non-DOD GM replacements that are single bolt but you may as well just swap to 3. If you are doing an aftermarket cam pretty much everything will be 3 bolt cam, FYI there is a different cam timing sprocket to use in this case also.

GM head bolts and gaskets are fine.

Just give us a call if you need some direction, 704-307-4227. All we do here is GM stuff.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would use the opportunity to do an aftermarket cam personally. Doesn't have to be a whopper cam and we have some that can reuse stock valvesprings also, but since you have to change it anyway it makes sense.

We offer a DOD delete kit as well as a cam install kit (depending on what all you are wanting to replace) also the tuning to go along with it, whether just to disable DOD or do a full performance tune.

The LS7 lifters or COMP 850-16 are great drop ins. Replace the lifter trays also while you are there. The GM timing chain will be fine for this. In an 07 you would have a single bolt cam. There are non-DOD GM replacements that are single bolt but you may as well just swap to 3. If you are doing an aftermarket cam pretty much everything will be 3 bolt cam, FYI there is a different cam timing sprocket to use in this case also.

GM head bolts and gaskets are fine.

Just give us a call if you need some direction, 704-307-4227. All we do here is GM stuff.
Thank you for replying to my post, I was not expecting to hear from a supplier. I have quite a few questions for you but I don’t have all my info in order yet. I’m trying to get the engine tore down first to make sure I know the extent of the damage before committing to a plan . I’m hoping that will be this weekend.
Thanks again for the reply.

· Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
221 Posts
OK, help a brother out . . . what in the heck are we talkin' 'bout here?

AGM, AFM, DOD, delete this, disable that. I get this sounds almost like a full rebuild, but other than the collapsed lifter, to what end are these alphabet soup of repairs/improvements (?) are all about?

Mine has the inline six, so I don't believe much of this will apply to me but I do like learning stuff.

· Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
524 Posts
AGM/DOD/AFM are the active fuel management the GM put in a bunch of their V8 engines to make them more fuel efficient. Essentially, you have an 8 cylinder when you're driving and need the power. When you're cruising, 4 of the cylinders are disabled and you essentially have a V4 engine to conserve fuel.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, help a brother out . . . what in the heck are we talkin' 'bout here?

AGM, AFM, DOD, delete this, disable that. I get this sounds almost like a full rebuild, but other than the collapsed lifter, to what end are these alphabet soup of repairs/improvements (?) are all about?

Mine has the inline six, so I don't believe much of this will apply to me but I do like learning stuff.
By deleting the afm/dod I’ll be replacing lifters that have a reputation for failing ( like mine did ) and the hope is to get some longevity out of my 5.3 . There’s actually a class action lawsuit against gm over the lifters but my model was not included.

· Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
221 Posts
AGM/DOD/AFM are the active fuel management the GM put in a bunch of their V8 engines to make them more fuel efficient. Essentially, you have an 8 cylinder when you're driving and need the power. When you're cruising, 4 of the cylinders are disabled and you essentially have a V4 engine to conserve fuel.
OK. Like the old Cadillac V8-6-4. I can understand why you would want to get rid of that.

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
586 Posts
OK. Like the old Cadillac V8-6-4. I can understand why you would want to get rid of that.

Wow, did that bring back memories. The 8-6-4 was a good engine, I remember when people bitched about the 'funny feel' when it went into 8-6-4, there was a wire you could disconnect and it would run 8 only.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts