Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to warn all owners about a major issue with the frames on Trailblazers and Envoys . My 06 truck has a large rust hole in the frame on the right hand side by the Cat. Please inspect your frames as this issue is very dangerous . I have been told by GM they will not stand by there frames and to junk the truck. Its a 06 with 150k and in great shape but these frames are a piece of junk , at any time this could break in half but GM does not care . I will never buy a GM vehicle . BUY JAPANESE

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
49 Posts
To me the sturdy frame is one of the things that sold me on this truck. You would be hard pressed to find a better constructed frame Jap or Yank.
I have an 07 and I'm in the salt belt too and my frame is fine. Perhaps your truck was in a wreck and some shoddy frame work was done....Mike.
ps this being your first and only post has all the makings of a drive by shooting...just sayin'

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me the sturdy frame is one of the things that sold me on this truck. You would be hard pressed to find a better constructed frame Jap or Yank.
I have an 07 and I'm in the salt belt too and my frame is fine. Perhaps your truck was in a wreck and some shoddy frame work was done....Mike.
ps this being your first and only post has all the makings of a drive by shooting...just sayin'
I bought this car from new. I have posted some p IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG ics.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
49 Posts
Wow, that is pretty severe. I suppose if GM won't cover it your only recourse is having a fab shop weld some plate in that section...Mike.
ps years ago I bought a Sunbeam Tiger that came from Ottawa and it was a real rot box. They must be using sulfuric acid on the roads up there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
rust

just wondered how many more are like that, i only found it by accident . Iam a Autobody tech so plates have been made and will weld in soon. I think if Trailblazers owners started gently tapping on the frame by the Cat loads more would have this prob . Was pissed gm will do nothing as this is form inside out and i looked in with inspection camera.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
492 Posts
just wondered how many more are like that, i only found it by accident . Iam a Autobody tech so plates have been made and will weld in soon. I think if Trailblazers owners started gently tapping on the frame by the Cat loads more would have this prob . Was pissed gm will do nothing as this is form inside out and i looked in with inspection camera.
Mine is 2006 as well but no rust at all. Currently at 156,203. It is always parked inside my garage and I inspected mine few weeks ago and zero rust. I will not buy japanese. Just got my 2013 Chevy Malibu and still loving Chevy.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Me too...

I know its an old post, but here is what I fould today on my 03 Trailblazer ext 126k miles: A nice big rust hole right in the frame by the cat. Oddly only on the right side. most of its life in Vermont. This truck is driving me nuts with its constant issues, it's no wonder that they are dirt cheap to buy second hand. remember when toyota truck frames rotted through? Huge recall and buy back.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1 Posts
Severe rust through on frame (2003 Envoy XL)

I have a 2003 Envoy XL (100K miles and I live in northern NJ) and had it in the GMC shop to repair the fuel tank issue for which I got a letter last month. They dropped the fuel tank and found severe rust-through on the frame and called me in today to discuss the situation. The service rep said I may be able to get a body shop to weld a plate over the holes, otherwise the frame will certain fail. I'll be going back tomorrow to get advice from their body shop (and hopefully a referral to a welder) and will take pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 chevy
30 Posts
Nasty rust damage. I know this is coming too late, but being in the Northeast salt belt is the major reason that I undercoat new cars (including my tb). GM's all steel framed trucks and SUV's are especially prone to rusting; Then there is the Blazer family and its notorious history of rust!!!

Good luck to those with the rust problem.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer
6 Posts
Old post... I know. But the OP is correct... These need to be checked. I see rotted frames on these rigs all the time. By the cat as posted here... and also the mount pockets of the upper control arms in back.
I own 3 TB... 02,03 and 05... ALL have requiered frame repairs in the area of the mounting pocket of the control arms. This is a very poor design in the rust belt it collects road salt and rots.

·
Registered
1 Posts
rust

I have an 02 and the frame is rusting on both sides almost directly in the middle of the frame...but I'm in Indiana so definitely salty from time to time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. Unfortunately my 2004 Envoy has the same problem: the frame has a big rust hole adjacent to the catalytic converter. I have only 78,500 miles on it and it's been dependable and either repairable or tolerable. I'm worried this might not be fixable but I will be checking with some body shops. I've owned it since new and aside from this it's in excellent condition. It's always been garaged. This should never have happened!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem has well in a 2004 trailblazer i even put it on a website a few years ago about this rust

1 - 15 of 15 Posts