Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a pioneer 710bt into my 2006 trailblazer with onstar and no bose.
I am using the GMOS-01 harness. The first time i tried, like a rookie :bonk: i didn't unplug the battery and fried my GMOS. After getting a new box i tried again and now when i plug the negative cable back into my battery the Radio fuse immediately blows. I have tried this process 3 times and blown a fuse all 3 times. Everything is wired 100% correctly according to the GMOS and radio instructions. Any ideas what could cause a blown fuse besides the yellow, red, or black wires? :thx for the help.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,289 Posts
I am installing a pioneer 710bt into my 2006 trailblazer with onstar and no bose.
I am using the GMOS-01 harness. The first time i tried, like a rookie :bonk: i didn't unplug the battery and fried my GMOS. After getting a new box i tried again and now when i plug the negative cable back into my battery the Radio fuse immediately blows. I have tried this process 3 times and blown a fuse all 3 times. Everything is wired 100% correctly according to the GMOS and radio instructions. Any ideas what could cause a blown fuse besides the yellow, red, or black wires? :thx for the help.
Whats the brand not that it matters

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pioneer DEH-710bt

The Aftermarket is a Pioneer DEH-710bt and the Harness is a Metra GMOS-01

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,289 Posts
Well thats the good brand lol. Its all color matching too as far as I can remember red to red, yellow to yellow, and black to black.

Can you post piics of your wiring?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
2,251 Posts
Could be a number of things...

- no ground/a bad ground to your radio.
- no ground/a bad ground to your harness.
- a bare wire touching something, somewhere.
- a speaker wire grounding out someplace (if you changed your speakers).
- not using the proger gauge of wire for your setup.
- an improperly wired amp (if you have one).
- an improperly wired head unit.
- an improperly wired harness.
- head unit is damaged from the other short(s) you caused.

Good luck. Electrical gremlins are always fun to catch.

:coffee

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible that I have the BOSE system and that is causing my fuse to blow because its sending too much power. I don't see a BOSE logo on anything and my radio doesn't say BOSE when it comes on.

:eek:fftopic:Does anyone know how to test a aftermarket radio on a 12v battery to see if it works? Detailed instructions would be much appreciated. :thx

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Is it possible that I have the BOSE system and that is causing my fuse to blow because its sending too much power. I don't see a BOSE logo on anything and my radio doesn't say BOSE when it comes on.

:eek:fftopic:Does anyone know how to test a aftermarket radio on a 12v battery to see if it works? Detailed instructions would be much appreciated. :thx
I'm willing to bet, that first time you fried your GMOS unit, some of your wiring somewhere else got damaged. That's why you keep popping the radio fuse when you hook it up.

To test your new HU, you need to connect the Constant 12V and Ignition wires from the radio's wiring harness to the 12V source, and the ground wire to the ground connection. That will simulate the vehicle being turned on. Good luck man

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
2,251 Posts
If it doesn't say Bose, then odds are, you don't have a Bose.

Quick way to confirm if you have an amp though, is to pull off the cargo area wall panel on the passenger's side - that's where they like to hide it in some models.

BTW, the Bose amp system doesn't send power to your HU. It's the other way around. (basic stereo knowledge!! :eek:) Your HU sends signals to an amp, where they are AMPlified and then sent to a speaker.

For the record, (yes, I'm going to be THAT GUY and say it again) the Bose system sucks monkey nuts. :raspberry :m2:

The first list I gave you should be a good starting point. Cover all your bases because if you don't, you'll just keep having issues. :coffee

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
Most, if not all Bose Systems in the TrailVoy vehicles have Tweeters up front in both ends of the dash and can be seen through the windshield. Non-Bose Systems have a Tweeter in the Door mounted with the Low-Mid-range Speaker.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my headunit works. I received a new gmos box and it blew up too. The old radio still works. I dont have BOSE. Does this mean i just need to wiring to the GMOS too?:confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, when I blew up the GMOS box the first time, the company just sent me a new box and not new wires... I didn't think wires couldn't really get that messed up. However this now makes me think otherwise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts