Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went outside today since the weather was tolerable to finish detailing my TBSS and store it for the winter. Well at first the battery wouldn't start, so I had to jump it. When it finally started I let the vehicle run for a bit since I had put Stabil in the gas tank. All of a sudden I heard a gurgling and crackling nose come from inside the engine bay so I quickly shut the car off. I had smelled a faint burning smell coming from the area of the fans and realized that the fans had not turned on at all. The dash hawk told me that my engine threw a code - P1258 "Engine overtemperature protection, or low coolant fuel disable." I know this dilemma has something to do with the fans not turning on, but my question is could the fans have drained the power from the battery or maybe have blown a fuse? Everything was fine a month ago - I don't understand why my fans don't want to work now. Just so you guys know I do have electric fans and 160T. Could the 160T be shot? Any help and ideas on what the problem is, is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
My guess is that your fans are toast, give Matt a call and see what he thinks. Send me a PM on any of these sites and I'll give you my number (I don't think you have it). Good luck and let me know this turns out.
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe the fans are toast - I am going to remove them this weekend and test them to make sure. I was taking a look at all the wiring for the fans, and everything is melted. The relay or relay wiring seemed to had failed. The wiring from the relay to the battery were all melted, and also the wire at the relay fell right off as I disconnected the relay from the radiator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
What is the point?

What did you hope to gain with electric fans? Did you achive this goal? What did it cost you in terms of dollars and time to convert to electric fans?

I'd bet that a bone-stock trailvoy would not have overheated in these conditions. This is just one of many reasons I try to keep my cars exactly bone-stock - it provides the best durability and lowest cost to operate.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd bet that a bone-stock trailvoy would not have overheated in these conditions. This is just one of many reasons I try to keep my cars exactly bone-stock - it provides the best durability and lowest cost to operate.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee
The reason why my vehicle overheated was because the fans would not turn on; which was due to a sloppy wiring job of the fans; hence why I try to stay away from shops as much as possible.
 

·
Registered
2007 chevy
Joined
·
355 Posts
What did you hope to gain with electric fans? Did you achive this goal? What did it cost you in terms of dollars and time to convert to electric fans?

I'd bet that a bone-stock trailvoy would not have overheated in these conditions. This is just one of many reasons I try to keep my cars exactly bone-stock - it provides the best durability and lowest cost to operate.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee
I think Ashley was looking for help, not to be chastised. There is a gain, reduces drag and lowers temp. Not my cup of tea personally for cost versus gain, but mod to your preference. Some pearl of wisdom betting that a stock ride would be more durable:duh: Problem is, for those of us with an SS, we bought 'em for a bit more than driving the kids to soccer practice and getting groceries. I'm sure if I owned a Mom and Pop grocery getter, (of which I've had several) it'd be bone stock too. Let us know how it turns out Ash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Sounds like the intial battery drain was more than likely form the fans circuit. Sounds like the fan drained the battery to the point that the wiring was overheated and shorted out.

Then sounds like after you jumped the truck to get it running again then the fans had power again and continued to short out until the truck got the overtemp warning.

Electric fans are fine, I have had them on my 2008 TBSS since almost day 1. I used factory fans and bought a wring kit form Alvin and put the ECM patch in and they have worked perfect since day 1.

I would suggest replacing the fans and the wiring with something like the kit Alvin offers, I would bet that will take care of the issue. Sounds like you need at least a new witing harness and maybe a set of fans as well.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top