Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife told me this morning that the drivers seat was wet from the sunroof leaking. Everything was closed, but we had some heavy rains last night.

Ive read about their being 4 drain holes in the sunroof area that could be clogged causing this issue, but dont know where they are located.

Is cleaning them a DIY job if your not really mechanically inclined, and if so can someone tell me how to check the drains, and then clean them? If you have pictures of these drains on the Trailblazer, even better!

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,292 Posts
Welcome:tiphat, I had this issue so I'll give you what i know. Park TB Front end lower than rear for better drainage angle... Open the Roof & look in the front corners of the channel, you will see where they slope into a hole (they run down tubes in the front windshield pillars). I used Heavy gauge electrical wire, it still had the covering on it (worked for added stiffness) ran that down there ehh 2 or 3 foot or so several times blew some air down there (not real high pressure as I don't know whats on the end) & CLEANED the entire trough ( Pine needles:mad:) then poured some water down there to be sure...Looking carefully I finally noticed the front lip where it makes contact, there was a big drop of dried pine tree sap practically invisible, cleaned it, Haven't had prob. before or since . Needless to say I don't leave it parked open near pine trees anymore.:duh: Matter of fact seems to be a rain magnet whenever left open unattended. :hahano:GL....... P.s. Thanks, pre winter cleaning was a good idea.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info thanks!!!!

Do the front drains run along from the drain holes in the sunroof and then empty to the ground via rubber tubes that are in between the two front door jams?

I read on other cars you can squeeze the ends of those ends and often times all sorts of gunk comes out, followed by all the water that was clogged.

Just wondering if Trailblazers have the same setup. If not, then i can try to find those holes and then fish through some wire....would speaker wire work? Just wondering too how i would know once i opened the clog...(in your case you said it was pine needles...how did you know? Did they fall through someplace where you could see them? Sorry for all the Q's...:p

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Great info thanks!!!!

Do the front drains run along from the drain holes in the sunroof and then empty to the ground via rubber tubes that are in between the two front door jams?
...They run out towards the front pillars then down...

I read on other cars you can squeeze the ends of those ends and often times all sorts of gunk comes out, followed by all the water that was clogged.
...They seem to bottom out halfway down the jam, I geuss they exit in the rocker as I never really found an exit.:weird:...

Just wondering if Trailblazers have the same setup. If not, then i can try to find those holes and then fish through some wire....would speaker wire work? Just wondering too how i would know once i opened the clog...(in your case you said it was pine needles...how did you know? Did they fall through someplace where you could see them? Sorry for all the Q's...:p
...You will need solid core one piece wire not wound stuff, I'm not sure if an electrical fishing coil would work or not (I Don't think it would, not sure...) Coat hanger will not.... My Dway, me... I'm Surrounded by pine trees! Many years cutting xmas trees I Think they Know.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The front drain holes, drain down the windshield pillars, as guano2 stated. The rear two drains go down the pillars behind the rear doors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front drain holes, drain down the windshield pillars, as guano2 stated. The rear two drains go down the pillars behind the rear doors.
Thank you!! But where are the openings that the water empties out of? My guess is that my clog is at the bottom at the exit of these drains. For the fronts, is the drain exits in the door jam area, or are they in the wheel well areas?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I don't think you can get at where the tubes exit... Haven't heard of anyone not getting them cleared from up top.........:undecided ummm, Factory Sunroof Right?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The manual only has drawings, but the rear drains look like they exit either in the rear wheel well or just ahead of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, heres an update....

Went and bought some coated wire from a hardware store. Before doing anything, i checked the exit hoses for the front drains. They are in the door jams. You open the doors, and in the middle there is a piece of rubber hose that the front sunroof drains empty out of. Anyways, the ends were wide open, no clogs. Then i looked at the two front holes in the sunroof itself...again, looked wide open.

So, i took the wire and ran it through both front holes. I could maybe get a foot or two in then it seemed to stop and i didnt want to push harder fearing i would rip something inside. Pulling it out i had nothing on the end of the wire...slightly dirty, but no actual clog. After doing that, i took a glass of hot water (hot to help clean any gunk that may be in there) and poured it into the driver front sunroof hole, and then the passenger front. Each time i heard the water go through, and saw it all pour out of the front exits in the door jams onto the ground. So those are clear.

I wanted to try to clean out, or even pour water into the rears and check those but i cant see the holes....does anyone know where they are?

So the fronts are definitely open....i just dont know if i actually did anything to open them, or if i have another problem instead. The initial problem was that my wife had water on the driver seat...that means the fronts may have been clogged, not the rears right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it rained like crazy last night and this morning everything was dry on the inside so i can only assume that i fixed the issue. :crazy:

If i have issues after this i guess the rears drains are my next path...

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
142 Posts
The drain tubes are rubber and sometimes they get kinked. Maybe you un-kinked them with the wire you ran through them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you!! But where are the openings that the water empties out of? My guess is that my clog is at the bottom at the exit of these drains. For the fronts, is the drain exits in the door jam area, or are they in the wheel well areas?
The front drains are in the quartpanels ahead of the hinges, between the two if i remember right...you'll see a small rubber line about 2 inches long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts