Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 LS trailblazer that I want to lift. I have researched the BDS suspension and body lift, I am not sure which one to choose or if I should purchase both?? I want to put 17 or 18 in wheels plus an aggresive looking tire, I am not sure what wheel size or tire size. I'd like to go with a larger diameter tire. I know you need an offset to get away from the control arm, but I don't know the specifications. Please can someone help me. Are there any websites that I can order from?? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
127 Posts
Every combo of what has to be done for what size tires is shown in the off road forum, as well as the lift options. Screw BDS, support the inventor, Markmc and buy his 2.5" spacer system and he will soon have a 3" body lift. I know there is too much info on this site, but use the search option. Almost everything that can be done has been done and posted.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Screw BDS, support the inventor, Markmc...
Mark did not invent the BDS style spacer. They didn't rip him off. It's a different backstory with a different vendor.

I am running BDS in the front and rear (plus some added secret sauce), and for me, with a heavy custom bumper and winch, I needed their design differences for more safety margin. Most people won't.

But BDS has a great product for certain applications, and they had the first commercial body lift, so let's give them some attaboys.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,055 Posts
Mark did not invent the BDS style spacer. They didn't rip him off. It's a different backstory with a different vendor.

I am running BDS in the front and rear (plus some added secret sauce), and for me, with a heavy custom bumper and winch, I needed their design differences for more safety margin. Most people won't.

But BDS has a great product for certain applications, and they had the first commercial body lift, so let's give them some attaboys.
I have to second that. Back with my Blue Trailblazer and Smaxx (using the stock rubber bushing to mount the top of the strut to the body - same with Mark's set up) I tore through that rubber bushing in about 3 months.

The GM part just can't handle a significant amount of additional weight. I had the Curt front hitch receiver, the MileMarker winch mount/brush guard, winch, and 33 inch tires.

But as the Roadie says, most setups won't have a problem with the stock bushing. The BDS poly busing design is rock solid so the only thing left that could sag are the stock springs.

AG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you guys saying that BDS strut lift is heavier duty, I want something that won't fail. I want to get wheels and tires without getting the adapters, is that possible? How big can I go with the BDS? How big can I go with Markmc's? Thanks for your time

·
Registered
269 Posts
I want to get wheels and tires without getting the adapters, is that possible? How big can I go with the BDS? How big can I go with Markmc's? Thanks for your time
without adapters you will have a hard time. But good luck.
because of our unique setup. Lift's aren't as easy as they are in full size trucks, or Jeep's. You can get away from the ball joint and mount bigger tires without spacers if you find a wheel with enough neutral to negative offset, the stock offset is +37. The problem you'll run into is there are so few wheels with our bolt pattern, to find one with an offset you are needing results in 18-20'in wheels. (I almost did 18's before going the route of the wheel spacer.) Use the search bar or read up in the off-road forum a bit to see what you really want to do to the TB. For show, or go.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Lift by itself doesn't enable taller tires. You need spacers to move the edge of the tire out so it misses the upper ball joint. Look closely at the relationship.

Or get larger diameter tires without going wider. Go out and look at your vehicle. See how much space you have to get larger diameter tires without moving them outwards. Not much. Maybe 3/4", which translates to 1.5" larger diameter.

Once the spacers enable you to fit taller tires, then the lift comes into play so those tires don't rub the top of the wheelwell liner and the fender opening.

The BDS lift design replaces the stock upper shock mount (made of rubber) with a stronger polyurethane unit. Stock vehicles aren't running around breaking this item in any great numbers, but offroading on extremely bumpy trails, COMBINED with a heavier custom bumper (100+ pounds) plus a winch (~100 pounds) can tear the stock rubber.

I would not recommend you worry about the OEM rubber design unless and until you spend a couple thousand more $$ for a bumper and winch. Until then, get the markmc kit and sleep well at night.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
127 Posts
O.K. it was suspension maxx that screwed Markmc. Sorry BDS. I have purchased Markmc's lift, new strut mounts and Bilstien HD's and have been very happy with the results. I'm not doing the wheelin that Roadie and the other godfathers are doing....Yet.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
Wheels are hard to find for our trucks, but I found a place, jkmotorsports , that will take an expedition bolt pattern and machine inserts into the lug holes to make a 6x127. I havent had any problems with my wheels, and they have great prices on their wheels and will machine the inserts for free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts