Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My mother has a 05 Chev Trailblazer that she bought new and only has 37k on it. She is 70yrs old and hardly ever drives it.... It gets parked outside in the winter and when it is really cold out, she can place the shifter in reverse but the truck will not back up until the engine warms up. (The engine rev's when you step on the gas) you put it in park and let it warm up then it's fine. She claims that it will allow her to go forward, but not reverse, and she is afraid to drive it. Any ideas? I would hate to have her go to the dealer and get taken advantage of!!

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
8,149 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat The first thing to do is check the fluid for level, color, smell, water and bubbles. At 37k it is probably the original fluid. That should be no problem if all the above are good. Are there any C.E.L's being set? If she hardly drives it and all trips are short so that it doesn't heat-up, it could be moisture in the fluid.:m2:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
20 Posts
Not going into reverse untill it warms up could be a low reverse piston seal problem. When the seals are cold, they contract allowing fluid to pass by. Or you could have a stuck pressure regulator valve. Have you driven it when it is cold, how are the rest of the forward shifts? Check the coolant resovior, if it has a real oily residue in it the trans cooler could have a hole in it which would allow the dexcool into the trans thus destroying the clutches. Just some things to look at

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys everyone. The fluid level is ok, color, smell and all that is good. It is the origonal fluid however. I have driven it and all of the forward shifts are OK about what I would expect for being cold out I guess. The parking brake has never been used. The longest trip she makes in the winter is 20 miles or so. I did not check the coolant reservoir....:undecided

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.