Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So the fan clutch on my 05 I6 has crapped out on me, leaving me with the decision of if I should replace the clutch or go with a Efan kit from PCMofNC. The internet seams to be divided on aftermarket Efans for the TB's, some saying that the added power draw is too much for the electrical system to handle, I have also heard that the fan is crazy loud and that the after market shroud blocks air flow. Then again I have read that the fans are much quieter and more efficient compared to stock and can be a more reliable option.

I like the idea of ditching the OEM fan, picking up some power and mpg, and having a overall more reliable system. Since my fan clutch failed my temps have been right around 175 and I would like to get them back up to normal.

The kit that I am looking at is the PCMofNC Plug and Play fan kit P-030016. Anyone installed one on there TB and knows the pros and cons and anything they ran into when installing?

If anyone can give me the rundown on the conversion or point me in the right direction that would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
I see no updates on this, but just out of curiousity, did you go with the efan? I've been debating switching over for a while, but a lot of people seem to have an issue of running hot when they switch over.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
182 Posts
I ended up using a Flex-A-Lite controller and some of their accessories...In hindsight, I would have taken my chances with a used factory Camaro fan assembly instead of the cheap Dorman unit I bought...I finally replaced the driver side Dorman fan motor with a ACDelco motor, seems to be moving more air and finally running cool enough...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
182 Posts
I'll be reinstalling the factory fan before selling my Trailblazer, if anyone is interested in the electric fan kit with wiring harness, let me know...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
I'm new here, and the Trailblazer in my profile is actually my son's. I joined so I could get to some of the maintenance and troubleshooting advice.

Anyhow, when I changed my 07 RAM 1500 from the clutch fan to an E-fan, I used the fan from a Taurus 3.8L, with a DC Control fan controller. Works like a charm. DC has a temperature controller that might be good for these vehicles.

·
Registered
2003 gmc trailblazer_ls
26 Posts
I'm new here, and the Trailblazer in my profile is actually my son's. I joined so I could get to some of the maintenance and troubleshooting advice.

Anyhow, when I changed my 07 RAM 1500 from the clutch fan to an E-fan, I used the fan from a Taurus 3.8L, with a DC Control fan controller. Works like a charm. DC has a temperature controller that might be good for these vehicles.
I did the same thing for my 04 Dodge ram and worked great for a few years, i would like to do the same thing for the Envoy but i have to delete the code check, looking for options

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
77 Posts
I'm wanting to remove the worn fan clutch on mine and replace with an electric fan, too. But I'm reading that it'll throw codes unless you delete them in the ecm. Is this true?

·
Registered
2003 gmc trailblazer_ls
26 Posts
I'm wanting to remove the worn fan clutch on mine and replace with an electric fan, too. But I'm reading that it'll throw codes unless you delete them in the ecm. Is this true?
Yes it is unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts