Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 ext 4.2. is still going strong. Wondering if I could actually pull a camper with this or should I get a truck.

What's the maximum size camper that I could pull safely?

What do you guys pull?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
15 Posts
Check your owner's manual for specs on your vehicle.

I have an 07 Envoy, with a 4.2L engine. The max trailer weight with 3.42 gear ratio is 5,300 lbs. I was disappointed when I put a UHaul trailer behind my Envoy with a Cub Cadet garden tractor, and it had trouble holding 70 mph in west Texas, which is mostly flat.

See if you can borrow an RV you're considering for a test drive, and try and climb some hills you have in Pa, and see what you think. Also be sure you have enough braking to stop your trailer.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

I have an 07 Envoy, with a 4.2L engine. The max trailer weight with 3.42 gear ratio is 5,300 lbs. I was disappointed when I put a UHaul trailer behind my Envoy with a Cub Cadet garden tractor, and it had trouble holding 70 mph in west Texas, which is mostly flat.

See if you can borrow an RV you're considering for a test drive, and try and climb some hills you have in Pa, and see what you think. Also be sure you have enough braking to stop your trailer.
Ok thanks for the reply.

Yeah I am disappointed too. Buying the ” biggest / best” Ext Lt at the time and it pulls the least apparently. 4800.

Not sure I can afford a truck at this time, so seeing what I could pull. There is only 3 of us, but we don't just want a baby pop up camper.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

How would I know how much braking I need?

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
69 Posts
We pull an "Aero Cub" 21 foot hybrid (pop out beds, hard side) camping trailer. We have an '08 non-EXT with 3.42's and 4.2L and 2wd. I'm surprised how little power ours seems to have, but we can normally hold 65-70 mph on flat ground with it, if it's not too windy. Our camp trailer has trailer brakes and I put in a brake controller, and a large transmission cooler, and it came with a K&N air filter. The biggest problem is how slow the motor turns in 4th gear with the converter locked up, so if it's in 4th gear, it's usually slipping the converter to maintain 2,300 RPM or more, instead of being at 1,800 rpm if it was locked up. It also spends a good deal of time in 3rd gear or sometimes 2nd gear on any hills and 1st gear on steep hills. Ours is supposed to be able to pull 5,300 lbs. but our max. trailer weight is 4,500 or so and the 4.2L feels very weak accelerating. I wish we would have gotten the 5.3L but it didn't have working A/C, etc. I plan to swap to 4.10 gears this fall and I did put on a Magnaflow-like muffler on it already, and it seemed better this summer. I also use premium fuel and get only about 9-10 mpg when towing, so that is doubly annoying: little power and little mileage!

Rob in AZ

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS
20 Posts
TB power

I towed a '69 Chevelle on a car hauler 300 miles down I-75 through KY and TN with my 4.2L and had no issues maintaining 75 - 80 MPH. If you are driving 55, of course the trans will downshift at the slightest grade. While towing, 10 MPG is all you can expect.
Just make certain the usual bases are covered: change the oil, gear oils, transmission oil and spark plugs on regular schedule. And make certain your air filter is clean. You are just wasting money running premium fuel. Other than that, your TB sounds about right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How would I know how much braking I need?

Find out how much the trailer will weigh. Stopping is more important than accelerating and I would strongly recommend that you have a brake controller and axle brakes for anything weighing more than about a ton gross weight. TB's are great vehicles but they're not really a truck and they don't weigh enough to control a heavy load without trailer brakes. You won't die from slow acceleration but you can easily die from inadequate braking. Better safe than sorry.

Personally I found a single axle trailer with a 60" cut Dixie Chopper ZTR mower, est. gross weight around 1,400, to be about all my '08 could comfortably handle. But I'm used to towing stuff with 1-ton pickups and short semis so my perceptions are probably biased.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
703 Posts
I have a 06 4.2 3.42 gears. I tow a popup. I always use 3rd gear. I got 16 mpg. going to Colo. 500 mi. one way. It is underpowered but it does ok.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
703 Posts
Sorry I forgot about the brakes. My popup is smaller. No ac , no water in tanks. Brakes are ok but I would use trailer brakes if possible over 2k pounds. I am surprised how many folks tow in overdrive. These engines do great in 3rd 3000 rpm is no problem at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
FYI, I read a thread where a guy traded his 5.3L Tahoe for a 6.2L Silverado with the Max Tow Package and he said it was night and day how much better it towed with the big motor, lower gears, truck suspension and 8 speeds, etc. More white knuckle with the Tahoe, which surprised me.

Rob in AZ <--- my niece just got a "new" "classic" Ram 2019 3.6L due to big discounts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts