Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys... I'm sure it's been discussed as I've been reading around a bit but I'm looking for feedback on exactly what I'm looking at.

TB is an 05 EXT LT I6 4x4 (haven't checked the gear ratio yet).

I'm looking at pulling a 33' (tip to tip) 5700 lb dry camper with about 3-400 lbs of cargo. Call it 6200 total. Dealership is saying it shouldn't be a problem, I'll know it's back there but can safely pull it.

Definitely will be adding sway control and weight distribution. Been reading my TB can tow 6500 max, but I'm afraid I'm looking at it wrong.

Don't plan on taking trips requiring mountains or anything over an hour or so.

Any thoughts before I get too far in?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
5 Posts
If you did a synthetic flush on your transmission and change your other fluids to synthetics, that will help a bunch on parts longevity. Easy take offs and keep it out'f overdrive and it should be just fine...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
23 Posts
Youll be fine towing that weight, you have to remember the manufacturer always underestimates safe towing rates for legal and safety reasons, and the weight your towing is within factory listed safe limits.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_denali
30 Posts
It's missed a lot and if you never towed before you must have an electronic brake controller. Your 7-round plug on your truck is all set up for it but this is a must and extremely dangerous (regardless of weight) to tow anything over about 1000 lbs without.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
19 Posts
Towing

I tow a 25 foot Travel trailer weighs 6000# loaded. I have a 05 envoy Xl 4X4 5.3liter 3:73 gears.I added a transmission cooler. Its rated for 6700# don't have any problems. I have changed all fluids to synthetic.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3 Posts
I pull a 28 ft travel trailer with an 02 EXT 4x4. The trailer is 4800 lbs empty, but its always had at least a few hundred pounds in it when being pulled (probably over 6,000 total). The TB doesn't like it much, but it does alright with it. Maintaining anything over 55 mph is a different story though. I do have electronic brake control and a distribution hitch. Luckily, its all secondary roads between my house and the campground we go to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
electric brakes

new blazer owner. I have a 2005 LST with 109,000 miles. I will be towing a trailmanor 2720. Very light! What is a good electric break controller for this? And do I need a transmission cooler? I see where many have switched to syn , just what liquids do you switch? Looking forward to many good years, any suggestions will help. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
574 Posts
new blazer owner. I have a 2005 LST with 109,000 miles. I will be towing a trailmanor 2720. Very light! What is a good electric break controller for this? And do I need a transmission cooler? I see where many have switched to syn , just what liquids do you switch? Looking forward to many good years, any suggestions will help. Thanks, Bill
hi, welcome.

your way under limit at 2700lbs. wouldn't run to install trans cooler.it wont hurt but its not needed.

check auto trans fluid, to see how red and new it is, maybe consider dropping tranny pan and doing fluid and filter change.

I would do, a rear differential fluid chnage to synthetic.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
472 Posts
If you did a synthetic flush on your transmission and change your other fluids to synthetics, that will help a bunch on parts longevity. Easy take offs and keep it out'f overdrive and it should be just fine...
How will that help with parts longevity?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
19 Posts
I use a Hayes syncronizer trailer brake controller. It was cheap but i have used it for almost 10 years no problem. I put on a transmission cooler but no more weight than your pulling not necessary. I changed my transmission fluid to valvoline synthetic. Same on the rear differential.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts