Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 Trailblazer L6, 2wd. First trip towing our 16 ft 2500 lb Fun finder X RV. Got hot on I45 in Texas, pulled over on an exit n water was coming out of filler tank. Unhooked n managed to get it home via tow truck n got another vehicle....back to RV, hooked up n off camping. Today I fired it up and it runs perfect. No heat issues, no water leaks anywhere! No oil in water (thought I blew a head gasket but now don't think so). I bought it used and am wondering if the yahoos I bought it from put another radiator in it, smaller which might have caused my problem. How do I tell if it is the correct tow pkg radiator? And, how do I tell if my TB in fact has tow pkg? Has receiver hitch n RV plug in. Called stealership they said my TB was to old for their computer to pull up any info????? Right! Recently did following....new water pump n thermostat, fan clutch assembly, belt. As mentioned, did a banzi run today and plenty of power n stayed right at 195 degrees, no water loss. Any input?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
80 Posts
FWIW,
I have used the VIN decoder site to determine specifics about my vehicles. The site is:
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php

It asks that you put in your VIN and then it does a search and gives you a lot of information about your vehicle. Obviously this does not account for any previous owner modifications.

Best

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
70 Posts
FWIW,
I have used the VIN decoder site to determine specifics about my vehicles. The site is:
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php

It asks that you put in your VIN and then it does a search and gives you a lot of information about your vehicle. Obviously this does not account for any previous owner modifications.

Best
That is cool! Learned a couple of tibits of info on my 05 that I didn't know.

Gene:)

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
When towing, you should shift out of Drive to 3rd to disable overdrive. The engine runs a bit faster (because of no OD). This also helps keep the tranny oil cooler. If you towed in D maybe this is your issue.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
80 Posts
It doesn't seem like transmission oil if it is loosing water/coolant. I'm not a mechanic but I don't think that is it. If I am wrong, sorry. I would be more concerned that it is water pump. Those things go out and relatively easy to change and relatively cheap. Of course look a fan clutch and also thermostat. After that, it is over my pay grade. Best.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
17 Posts
Put an aftermarket transmission cooler on it, did that for mine and tow a 5K# boat with no problems.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
Put an aftermarket transmission cooler on it, did that for mine and tow a 5K# boat with no problems.
Is yours also a 2wd? I have a question if so. On the front two wheels what do you have securing the hub assembly since there shouldn't be CV shafts behind them?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
50 Posts
I have been trying since sunday to post the below in a new thread. Tried ipad, iphone, laptop, and work PC, as well as mobile and desktop versions of the site and it wont post. One way gives an error, and another way just goes to a blank page. I've tried to message the contact us link of the site and no response. If an admin sees this, please help me fix this.....!!!

Now, my post, and apologies for thread jacking, but its related to your site hopefully you're not offended.
We did 4 days at Stone Mountain so towed about 220 miles each way. Temp going was about 75, return was about 80F. This was I-20 from columbia to Atl mostly

Our camper is a 23 ft hybrid that’s 4100 dry and prob close to 5000 loaded plus my wife and two young boys in car seats.

I use 1,2,3 like a straight drive letting off the gas between shifts.

The engine temp according to the dash gauge ran just a hair right of straight up but on a climb it would go up almost 3 bars which I figured was close to 228. After the crest it would slide back to 215.

I tried to run 65 at times and really about 60-62 on the way back because the wind was moving me around more.

Usually on a slight grade it would drop from 65 to 58-60. A bigger grade would drop under 55. If it reached 50 I’d drop into 2 which would jump to 3500 rpm and I’d hold it to 4000 at which I’d be above 60 and go back to 3rd gear.

Just a few weeks ago I had a separate transmission cooler added, both hoses changes (gates), new belt (gates), and rear diff checked, and drained and filled the radiator with fresh stuff. He’s a long time experienced and trusted mechanic. But I don’t know what he used. He’s a retired trooper.

Back at 95k miles I changed the water pump at the time I was fixing the roaring fan issue. I did it because after the hell getting the fan clutch off, I figured i'd go ahead and replace it, and it had some shaft wiggle anyway. I used the OEM one from Rock Auto.

For what I was pulling and the age and engine I thought it did well. I never floored it, accelerated easy let off to shift and tried to never let the TC unlock.

My only little mental bug was about the temp reaching that upper range 228 based on the gauge. Should I be concerned?

We’re going to the beach in July when temps will be upper 90s and if my confidence grows at some point I’d like to go into the Smokey mountains but that may not be possible. I figure if I do that then Saluda grade on I-40 will be in 2nd gear at about 25-30 mph which is why they have a slow lane there because it’s a nasty climb.

Thoughts from the experienced here? A bigger tow vehicle is not on our radar for at least 2 years when our van is paid off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts