Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 SLE 2wd, Envoy. I am attempting to replace the shocks and struts on, discovered I have Bilstein Shocks and struts. Is this OEM or aftermarket, and what should I replace them with to achieve the original ride and height, confused. Help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
975 Posts
Those are original , they came with Bilstein shocks and struts . You can try and find the exact replacement . I found that Monroe OE Spectrum were close to the original ride and have been generally pretty happy with them . Monroes have a lifetime warranty on them even against normal wear .

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are original , they came with Bilstein shocks and struts . You can try and find the exact replacement . I found that Monroe OE Spectrum were close to the original ride and have been generally pretty happy with them . Monroes have a lifetime warranty on them even against normal wear .
Thanks, that helps.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
35 Posts
Also used Monroe

I also used the Monroe's front and back (bought the higher end marked for original equipment). They typically run some worthwhile rebates. Happy with them for the last 20k miles. The original Bilstein's I replaced at 60k, and did not realize how badly they were worn, jarring jolts over bumps, and slight rear end swaying at highway speeds that required constant steering wheel adjusting.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Johnny Loops, the symptoms you described are exactly what I'm feeling right now cruzin down the highway.

·
Registered
2009 chevy tb
28 Posts
Let me repeat one of my posts from July 2017. My opinion has not changed.

>>Just installed MONROE 58644 on the rear. These used to be known as "booster shocks". They are Sensa-trac shocks with the coil spring around the outside of it. Now known as "Load-adjusting," even though they lack any adjustment.

Excellent shock. That booster spring eliminates body roll even in hard cornering. These shocks completely change the ride. The TB handles like a sports car. It gives a ride control that a regular shock simply can't provide. The key is the extra lift provided by the spring. Nice smooth tight ride with no load. I don't carry weight or tow, so I cant speak to that. Other users have commented that it raises the rear end a bit, and in fact they did raise mine slightly, which is fine as our tail pipes are too low anyway. I don't know if the springs on mine were changed out by prior owner, as the old shocks don't appear to be premium-smooth Nivomats, but this vehicle now drives and handles excellent. And those shocks were $105 for both, delivered, from Rock.

I can't believe the ride quality, and I haven't even touched the fronts or sway bar bushings yet, which have 118K on the clock.

Definitely worth looking at if you're in the market for rear shocks. These are sold as a set of two, so when ordering, you need "1".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts