Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a 2005 GMC Envoy, SLT Elite 4x4 4200 series engine with 200,000 miles.
I just bought my wife this vehicle a week ago. Drove fine for 4 days.
Did the general inspection before I purchased it. I checked the oil stick first before doing an oil change. Was not milky. changed oil and oil filter, radiator flush and fill, was going to do the spark plugs next but the wife needed to take it 45 min to the next town for business.
It Drove fine all the way there until she called saying the vehicle sputtered and died in the middle of the road. She started it back up and pulled into a public parking lot as it sputtered and died again as she parked it. She tried starting it several more times and it wanted to turn over but did not.
I pulled the alternator and battery and had the Auto store check them. Both were Good!
Then I thought fuel relay, filter, pump, regulator because when I had her turn the key to the on position to listen to the fuel pump engage. It made a noise like putting your finger on a mini fan to slow it down very quickly to a stop position. So I bought a new relay and plugged it in. The Relay sound and feel of clicking was present.
Still no start.
I talked to a cop that drove by and asked if I could park there overnight and he wasn't going to let me until I told him he had an nice M-4 sitting in his car.
He Asked me if I was prior military. Told him 8 yrs Army 2 tours Iraq so he gave me a night. God bless the USA! Thanks Buddy!
I had no other choice but to tow it home the next day.
Installed a new fuel pump. Listen for the prime. Good prime! Turn the key back and forth 2-3 times to get the line primed good. Fired it up and it chuckled for 4 or 5 turns and stayed running for 5 seconds then idled down and died. Started it back up, chuckled and died again and that's all it can do.
I researched the web for location of fuel filter and fuel regulator and I guess it didn't have either one for this make and model vehicle.
I don't own a fuel pressure gage. But I did press the schrader valve on the rail, to see if 50psi of fuel would shoot out and it only dribbled out like holding a table spoon of water in your mouth and spitting it out every time I did a fuel line prime and pressed in the schrader valve.
But I did notice, if you put some fuel down the throttle body. It stays running like a champ till the amount of fuel put in, burns out.
So in conclusion I suspect this has nothing to do with spark or crank.
It's more like lack of fuel consumption. But between a good fuel pump and the schrader valve, the only alternative at this point I would have to guess is the fuel lines.
My head is going in circles over this one and would love any feed back or opinions anyone has!

Thanks!

Sgt. Mag

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
129 Posts
The fuel filter is located in front of the fuel tank along the frame rail. Here is a write up with pictures - How-To Fuel Filter Replacement on 02-04 TV WITH PICS

I agree with you, it sounds like fuel starvation. However, you really need a fuel injection system pressure test gauge to better troubleshoot the cause if changing the fuel filter does not cure the problem. Also, there is a fuel pressure regulator located at the front of the engine on the drivers side and it's mounted between the alternator and the throttle body if I recall correctly. In order to test the fuel pressure regulator, you will need a fuel injection system pressure gauge. If you can't afford one, you can rent them for free at an Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts, or AutoZone store. You leave a deposit and then when you return the tool, you get your deposit back.

One final thought - if you are going to do your own maintenance/repairs, purchase a Haynes Manual for your Envoy as it is filled with pictures, how to info, specifications, and it is well worth the money!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel filter is located in front of the fuel tank along the frame rail. Here is a write up with pictures - How-To Fuel Filter Replacement on 02-04 TV WITH PICS

I agree with you, it sounds like fuel starvation. However, you really need a fuel injection system pressure test gauge to better troubleshoot the cause if changing the fuel filter does not cure the problem. Also, there is a fuel pressure regulator located at the front of the engine on the drivers side and it's mounted between the alternator and the throttle body if I recall correctly. In order to test the fuel pressure regulator, you will need a fuel injection system pressure gauge. If you can't afford one, you can rent them for free at an Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts, or AutoZone store. You leave a deposit and then when you return the tool, you get your deposit back.

One final thought - if you are going to do your own maintenance/repairs, purchase a Haynes Manual for your Envoy as it is filled with pictures, how to info, specifications, and it is well worth the money!!
Wow first off I'd like to thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I've never posted anything online before and that is great information. Thank you!
I have spent 500 for cost of fuel pump and tow truck to tow vehicle back 45 min to the garage. So funds are very low at this point. I did contact orileys and the told me 150 to rent and 50 to buy. Rentals have all the adapters and the bought one has only one adapter which they said would fit my vehicle. Hate to buy one for 2 seconds. But they didn't say anything for a free return.. Plus I use to work with the employee of orileys..you think he would have helped me better ha!

Hence the reason why I didn't purchase the pressure Gage. I figured releasing the pressure at the schrader valve and watching the amount of pressure coming out would tell me that 50psi wasn't even close to the pressure I needed.
If I can find the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator. I will install the new ones one at a time till it works. If not. Then it's back to the drawing board again.
But this deffinatly points me in the right direction and gives me something to work on for tomorrow!

Thanks again!
I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Wow first off I'd like to thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I've never posted anything online before and that is great information. Thank you!
I have spent 500 for cost of fuel pump and tow truck to tow vehicle back 45 min to the garage. So funds are very low at this point. I did contact orileys and the told me 150 to rent and 50 to buy. Rentals have all the adapters and the bought one has only one adapter which they said would fit my vehicle. Hate to buy one for 2 seconds. But they didn't say anything for a free return.. Plus I use to work with the employee of orileys..you think he would have helped me better ha!

Hence the reason why I didn't purchase the pressure Gage. I figured releasing the pressure at the schrader valve and watching the amount of pressure coming out would tell me that 50psi wasn't even close to the pressure I needed.
If I can find the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator. I will install the new ones one at a time till it works. If not. Then it's back to the drawing board again.
But this deffinatly points me in the right direction and gives me something to work on for tomorrow!

Thanks again!
I'll keep you posted!
Also when I dropped the tank and hooked everything back up. I didn't see anything between the fuel pump and fuel rail. I traced the lines between the two and found nothing. Maybe it's not the same make and model your thinking but I will trace them again just to be sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also when I dropped the tank and hooked everything back up. I didn't see anything between the fuel pump and fuel rail. I traced the lines between the two and found nothing. Maybe it's not the same make and model your thinking but I will trace them again just to be sure.
Can any one help me find the location of the fuel pressure regulator on my 05 gmc envoy slt elite? It seems that the 05 is a little different from the 03-04 models. Cause the 05 doesn't even have an external fuel filter I found out. They are calling the filter the pad at the bottom of the fuel pump, the only filter this year has.
I found this in a discussion where 2 guys are on the same page.. Could this be accurate?
Screenshot_2020-03-22-23-27-48.png
Screenshot_2020-03-22-23-21-32.png

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
129 Posts
My apologies that I gave you wrong information. I guess I'll have to blame the website that indicated that the fuel filter was next to the gas tank (Where to locate GMC Envoy fuel filter and replacement) for 2003 to 2008 Envoy's. Heck, even rockauto.com showed a valid part number for an exterior fuel filter & fuel pressure regulator.

I guess that means that the fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly since GMC incorporated the fuel pressure regulator around the same time they got rid of the external fuel filter.

I also ran across your other thread and now things are a bit beyond my skill level now.

Good luck and pleased to have made your acquaintance.

Regards,
pat

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My apologies that I gave you wrong information. I guess I'll have to blame the website that indicated that the fuel filter was next to the gas tank (Where to locate GMC Envoy fuel filter and replacement) for 2003 to 2008 Envoy's. Heck, even rockauto.com showed a valid part number for an exterior fuel filter & fuel pressure regulator.

I guess that means that the fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly since GMC incorporated the fuel pressure regulator around the same time they got rid of the external fuel filter.

I also ran across your other thread and now things are a bit beyond my skill level now.

Good luck and pleased to have made your acquaintance.

Regards,
pat
Thank you so much for hanging in there with me to try and figure it all out!
The pleasure was all mine!
Take care!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts