Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange electrical problem I'm having trouble tracking-down. A week ago I'm in the drive-thru ATM and the Envoy quits running. Won't crank, windows won't go up, and can't get the truck out of park (radio and door locks work, though). Have it towed to a shop and they take the column apart but can't find anything (tried swapping-out the ignition switch as well). Call for a tow to the local Chevy dealer and the tow guys swaps around fuses and the thing starts-up. Drive it to the dealer and they can't get it to fail, so the put it back together and give it back.

Thursday I'm driving the truck and it dies while driving. Pull to the side and the #36 IGN B fuse is blown. Have a spare fuse so I replace it and it starts, so drive to WalMart to get some landscaping stones and it dies again. This time it pops all my spare fuses so I have it towed home.

It pops the IGN B fuse as soon as you turn it to ACC. No other fuses appear to blow. Pulled the column and checked the ignition wires but can't see anything there. Got a power probe and supposedly you can power the lines and if one blows the circuit breaker in the probe that ones has a short somewhere. Other than the black wire to ground none of the other wires will blow the breaker. Tried a new ignition switch myself to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
That circuit goes only to the ignition switch, and in ACC and RUN position goes off to the rear fuse box for the rain sensor, front wiper motor and BCM. There is a RED wire going from the underhood fuse box to the ignition switch and then a BROWN wire leaving the ignition switch going to the rear fuse box. Somewhere along this line there is an intermittent short. I did not see any other paths for a XUV application.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doh! I hate being partially color blind. I took a better look at that harness and what I thought was a black ground is a dark brown wire. That's the one that popped the breaker on the power probe. Sounds like the problem is between there and the rear fuse box (or one of the circuits it feeds).

Thanks for the help! I'll take a closer look there this afternoon and try to track it down. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked a few of the fuses in the rear fuse box that were on that circuit and they were shorted to ground as well. I cut the brown wire just outside the rear fuse box, and fortunately the short was between the ignition wires and the rear fuse box. While I was fiddling with it the short went away, but since I can't trust that wire now I ran a new wire from the brown wire off the ignition switch to the rear fuse box. Problem solved, and hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts