Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

I've got a 2005 Envoy, 4.2L. It wont start. I've got 12+ volts at the battery. I get a clicking with the key in start. Get a clicking from the MAP (under the hood)at the same time, lights dim when I let it off start, plus a 2 second buzzing under the dash when I let off start. I get no power at the fuse block under the hood with the switch in the on posistion after going to start. Had OnStar run a diagnostic, nothing there. Ran the shift through PRNDL, but had trouble getting it to do that at first. Have had no problems before this. Maintenance is kept up, Semi-Syn oil every 4500 miles. Any Ideas?? Oh ya, 73,000 miles.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
To me it sounds like the starter motor. GENTLY tap the the side of the starter and try to start the engine. The Bendix part of the starter may be going bad. With the key in the START position all power is directed to the starter. That's why the radio (among other things) goes out while the engine is cranking.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Where are you looking for power on the front fuse block when you say you don't find any?

What's the battery voltage when you turn the switch to START?

Can you measure the voltage on the large 12V wire going to the starter when you hit START?

It may also be a bad ignition switch, starter relay, or starter solenoid (in the starter itself as posted).

Is it your original battery? If so, get it tested, as it's at its end of life.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Just an FYI, just because you have 12 volts at the battery (actually should be 12.4-12.8), doesn't mean its fully charged and has enough power to crank the engine. Did you try and jump start the truck, which would rule out the battery all together?

I have to 2nd Roadie in that it sounds like either the ignition switch, starter solenoid (relay for old timers) or the starter itself. You don't hear of may starters failing, but you do hear of igition switches failing all the time.....I'd replace the switch for good measure, its cheap and if it fixes the problem you're done. After that, look to the solenoid, that's what controls the bulk of the voltage in the truck.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had 12.38 volts at the battery. Did the tap the starter and soleniod, no help. Did not check the voltage drop in the cranking mode. After it sat a few hours it fired right up. I'm guessing, at this point, it is the starter soleniod getting hot and drawing too much current. Will replace the battery, as I had planned on doing that before this winter anyway. Thanks for the feed back!
On a completely different matter, the CD player(factory) won't spit out a CD. Short of a crowbar, any ideas here?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I'm guessing, at this point, it is the starter soleniod getting hot and drawing too much current.
That would be guessing, I agree. Starters get hot all the time and continue to work OK. And if it drew too much current on the control side, it would harm the start relay located in the fuse box and blow the fuse protecting that circuit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.