Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not satisfied with the sound produced by the factory BOSE NAV head unit in my 05 Trailblazer and REALLY want to retain the factory stock looking NAV unit. My understanding is that the earlier ( 02-04 ? ) LUX BOSE NAV radios were much better sounding systems and I'm interested in converting.

ANYONE have info regarding this conversion ??

Can the original BOSE NAV touchscreen still be used or will a 02-04 BOSE NAV touchscreen be required ?? ( I would expect that either/both - if applicable - would need to be re-programmed. )

I understand the non-LUX BOSE AMP will need to be replaced with the LUX BOSE AMP.

Can anyone point me to the wiring diagrams for these 2 systems ?? Better yet; has anyone else successfully converted a non-LUX BOSE NAV to a LUX BOSE NAV ??

I attempted to read thru the non-LUX vs. LUX sticky and while I gained a lot of info; I became a bit overwhelmed by all the information inside that thread.

Thanx in advance for ANY assistance with this !

:cool:

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Making very slow progress with this.....

Can anyone tell me if the BOSE LUX and the BOSE non-LUX radio connectors are the same ??? ( I ASSUME that they are ) I can find radio plug diagrams - but they are never specified as one or the other. I have not had my BOSE NAV removed from the dash yet to be able to inspect it's factory radio plug.

Since opening this thread I've acquired 2 BOSE lux AMPS,.... one from an 03 Trailblazer and another from an 02 Envoy. Each has the part number 15164725. Here is the only wiring diagrams I could find online that matched the wiring/plug at the LUX AMPS:

LUX radio part numbers are easy to find,.... but I'll post the 2 BOSE NAV LUX head units I'm looking for:

BOSE LUX latest revision : 15800001
BOSE LUX previous revision : 15230099
( I believe the revision is based on the screen resolution. )

Would really like to find out if the non-LUX 15800000 NAV radio can be programs for use with the LUX AMP. (If possible ) Paying for the original NAV unit to be re-programmed is a cheaper & easier way to convert rather than buying another radio and still needing to pay to get the VIN programmed.

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
These should be a little easier to read:

05+ BOSE non LUX AMP C1

05+ BOSE non LUX AMP C2

02-03 BOSE LUX AMP C1

02-03 BOSE LUX AMP C2 & C3

* 2004 might have been an early (LUX) and late (non-LUX) year, so check your parts !

LUX BOSE AMPS:
15070015 (02 Trailblazer: Silver case, dated 8-16-01)
15164725 (03 Trailblazer and 02 Envoy; Black case, dated 12-14-01 & 01-14-02 )

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a lot of info from other truck sites about this conversion, but most of that wiring info was for trucks other than the GMT360. So; Here's my first shot at getting the wiring at the AMP converted.

Red wires are Output to speakers
Blue wires are input to the AMP
Purple wires not needed

Trailblazer UQA:

LUX BOSE vs. non-LUX BOSE

LUX version*******from*****non-LUX

C1 Connector
A1 BARE Drain Front Sig*****C2, E
A2 Brown LR+*************C2, B*
A3 Yellow LR-**************C2, G*
A4 D-Blue LFM+************C1, A9*
A5 L-Blue LFM-*************C1, A10*
A6 -----
A7 -----
A8 D-Grn FRM-*************C1, A12*
A9 Orange FRM+************C1, A11*
A10 L-Blue RR-*************C2, F*
A11 D-Blue RR+************C2, C*
A12 -----

B1 BARE Drain*************C1, B12
B2 BARE Drain*************C1, B12
B3 -----
B4 -----
B5 -----
B6 -----
B7 -----
B8 Org/Blk RFL-*************C1, B7
B9 D-GRN LFL-*************C1, B9
B10 Tan LFL+**************C1, B10
B11 L-Grn RFL+?***********C1, B8
B12 ------

C2 Connector
A Blk Ground************SAME
B -----
C D-Grn RF-**************C1, A8, D/Grn*
D Tan LF+***************C1, A5, Tan*
E Gry LF-****************C1, A6, Gry*
F L-Grn RF+*************C1, A7, L/Grn*
G -----
H Org BAT*************SAME

Not accounted for on non-LUX AMP (plug C1)
B1 Gry/Blk, MUTE, Radio, C1 B6
B2 Purple, Rear Seat Enable, Radio, C1 A2
B11 Pink, Radio Switched Power, Radio, C1 B3
B3 Blk, RRL-, Console C307 L-Blu, B6
B4 D-Blu RRL+, Console C307 D-Blu, B2
B5 D-Grn/Wh LRL-, Console C307 Yel, B5
B6 Brn LRL+, Console C307 Brn, B1

C3 Connector
5 D/Blu Class 2 Serial Data,
( XM Box, Yellow, #7 -or- Rear Seat Audio, Grey, A2 -or- BCM, L/Grn, B1)
6 -----
7 LGrn/Blk DRAIN (Microphone in upper console)
8 D/Grn Noise Comp Supply Voltage (Microphone in upper console)
9 -----
10 -----

I Picked up a 15800001 NAV radio and will need to find a dealer or local tech that can program it to work in my 05TB. Was removed from a 2006 Yukon Denali XL. Not sure if it will flash a GMC screen after programming or if it will show the Chevy Bow Tie...... Anyone know if the splash screen can /will be changed ??

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was able to make an adapter harness so that the original harness and plug remains original and un-molested. Making this adpater will allow me to return my ( soon to be ) converted LUX BOSE back to the "mid-level" BOSE that is factory original to my 05 Trailblazer with ease if I ever had -or wanted- to.

I removed the "male" connector for this adapter from an old Yukon BOSE AMP that I've had collecting dust for at least a decade. ( figured it was time I finally got some kinda' use out of it ! ) After taking it apart I removed the part of the AMP that connects to C1 and C2. It used the same C1 and C2 connectors as the GMT360 AMPS so I used a pair of dykes to snip each of the pins free from the AMPS circuit board, then broke off the metal retainer and clipped off the connectors plastic retaining pins so the "connector" itself was free.

To start the harness I used a 05 BOSE C1 and C2 harness and removed all the wires from those 2 plugs. I then rebuild those 2 plugs as a mirror image of their former self and connected them to the PINs that I had snipped free from the AMP circuit board on the 'left' side of the connector. Now; when the trucks factory installed C1 and C2 harness are plugged into the 'right' side of the "connector" the wires match color for color all the way thru the connector. The wires were then spliced from the 05 BOSE configuration to the BOSE LUX configuration on the C1 and C2 plugs on the opposite side of the adapter harness.

I've got the mic added to my roof console, but still need to add wire so they will reach the AMP mounting location. Also have to decide where I'm going to tap into the serial data line and run that wire to the AMP as well. This will probably be the last update for awhile..... Once the LUX NAV arrives I'll have to pull the cargo area apart so I can get the LUX AMP installed and will leave it apart until I can get the replacement LUX NAV re-programmed. If/when it's working,..... then I'll put everything back together !

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick update;

Got all the wiring completed in the truck. Ran the 2 MIC wires from the roof console to the AMP and ran ran the Data wire from the BCM to the AMP. C3 is ready to get put to use !

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had to see what would happen ! :excited:

Plugged in the LUX amp and LUX NAV today and turned the key only as far as 'accessory'. The radio screen displayed "Delphi" and then "Theftlock Activated". I then turned the key to off,... waited about 30 seconds and turned the key to RUN. The radio screen showed a BowTie and then,.... "Theftlock Activated".

Seems like the radio wiring is OK (so far). I got proper back-lighting and because the "Delphi" screen changed to the BowTie once the key was moved to the RUN position,... I'm guessing the Class 2 data circuit is OK.

I recall that some type of Trailblazer radio would allow for "testing" mode when the key was ONLY turned to accessory and wanted to see if that would apply to the NAV head unit....:undecided it did NOT apply to BOSE LUX NAV #15800001. :no:

** The original BOSE Navigation head-unit in my 2005 Trailblazer is part number 15229287.

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BAM !

The original NAV worked just fine and (honestly) sounded pretty damn good, but the buttons are so worn that I wanted to replace the radio. After reading thread after thread on numerous websites about high praise for the LUX over the non-LUX systems,..... I figured that 'now is the time' to try out the conversion.

It was raining last night when I got it working so I've had limited exposure so far. I was expecting a pretty significant difference in the sound out-put & quality, but there was no way to make any comparisons in raining/dark conditions. I expect to test most of my LUX parts today but doubt I'll have time to evaluate a more direct comparison of the LUX to non-LUX sound output. I'll update here again after I actually get a chance to hear each system one-at-a-time under better conditions.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
45 Posts
Thanks for this write up.. good information and really well told with illustrations. Do you know what the latest DVD NAV disc that works in these units and a good inexpensive source for it?

Have you had a chance to use and compare the sound difference between the two? Is it quite an improvement over the original radio?

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx for the feedback !! There is a lot of BOSE NAV info here on this site and a good amount of BOSE LUX info too,... but a lot of the BOSE info wasn't TB /Envoy specific and it was kinda' hard to understand what was and what wasn't relevant to the TB/Envoy BOSE LUX / non-LUX while reading thru all the various threads on the topic. I wanted to convert,... so this thread was a good way to put everything I found in 1 place for other members to use if needed.

I wan't able to get a into a full comparison of the difference in sound from the non-LUX to the LUX system. I had the chance,..... but after getting the set-up working and testing all the spare LUX AMPS I had acquired I just wanted to get my truck put back together again; so I didn't re-install the non-LUX for comparison.

The LUX system is a great sounding system,...... I also thought the non-LUX was a great sounding system. My "complaints" with both are kinda' the same; 1) they both sound GREAT at all volume levels, but the volume seems kinda' low to me. ( as if the AMP is keeping volume at the highest level possible before distortion maybe ? ) and 2) there isn't enough sound produced in the back of the truck. (common to every Trail-Voy, regardless of stock radio that's installed ! )

The LUX NAV I installed has options for "Normal" "Driver", Rear" and "Spacious". Only the "Normal" and "Driver" options appear to work, I don't hear any change from the drivers seat when any other option is selected. The AMP I used was from a TB/Envoy so it's plug-in and use. ( no configuration based on body type like the Escalade or Yukon AMPs. ) IMO the "Normal" setting sounds the best and the EQ settings with BASS and TREBLE turned all most all the way up and MID EQ level in the center produces the best sound. When set to "Driver" there is just too much sound from the front IMO.

* Since the system already ( IMO ) makes too little sound from the rear I'm probably going to look into adding a couple speakers or a speaker box in the rear next spring. I often drive with the rear seats folded down and this kills almost all sound from the rear door speakers.

The NAV disc I bought from a famous auction website....

"This is the latest AND last version from GM (v10.4 2013). Part number 22846887"
I stuck it in the NAV head unit and it worked just fine; Hope this helps !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts