Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sprung a leak on my heater hose that runs along the drivers side to the rear and over to the passenger side rear heater core. The leak is actually right at the driver seat. What kind of fix can i do wothout have to replace the entire line? The line is 3/4" aluminum.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
275 Posts
Just run a length of heater hose from the engine block fitting to the fitting on the passenger side of the firewall. That's what I am going to do with my 04 TrailBlazer.

·
Registered
275 Posts
No. I have the regular 2004 with the I-6. My apologies for assuming you also had the I-6. You essentially described the heater hose set up on the I-6 engine. I should have asked for more details before shooting from the hip, so to speak.

Here is a link to a GM dealer with an online parts catalog and lots of diagrams to identify parts and how they are routed:
www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com
Just select make, year, model, etc., and you too can see how things are set up and can see what the GM part numbers are (useful for cross referencing).

Also, here are a couple of the diagrams for the hoses and pipes routing for the 5.3L V8 - I hope they are helpful:

Hope these help.

Good luck!

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, looking at the parts list and seeing the price of the the hose I need, do you think i could splice with a heater hose? Or even use compression fittings? I really don't want to drop amother 300 into this vehicle!

·
Registered
275 Posts
OK on the prices - remember, that is for "Genuine GM Parts" which are manufactured by another company like Gates Rubber or Dayco. You can take the GM part numbers and go to the Gates or Dayco website and see if they have a part number for their brand of that part, and then go to a parts store to see if they have one or can get one, often for much less $$$. Or, you can go to rockauto.com and price the OEM parts and the aftermarket parts as well.

Now to answer your question about splicing the leaks with heater hose. A big YES! However, you'll want to use hose clamps and not compression fittings. Measure the outer diameter (o.d.) of the metal tubing and then purchase heater hose with an inside diameter (i.d.) equal to the i.d. of the metal tubing in however many feet you need. I would also use 2 hose clamps on each end of the repair and do your best to get about 3 - 4 inches of metal tubing to go inside the heater hose.

My recommendation for heater hose is to get Gates or NAPA (manufactured by Gates - same quality) branded hose. I have found that Gates heater hose has a thicker wall thickness than Dayco's and in my opinion, will be a longer lasting hose. If you have an O'Reilly Auto Parts store nearby they will have, or can get very quickly, the Gates hose you need.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts