2006 was the year GM made big improvements to the 4200:
  1. revised exhaust port - 40% bigger than the early head
  2. bigger and longer intake valves
  3. bigger and longer exhaust valves
  4. revised VVT actuator
  5. revised exhaust manifold to match the head
  6. revised valve cover from plastic to aluminum
  7. revised intake and exhaust cams

The 2006 is the only engine with the revised head that can be run using the early PCM as it still uses a 7 notch crank timing ring.

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
So then after 06 the engine mods are the same just the 7 notch crank timing ring has been changed. What about the power is there more HP in the newer engines?
'07 crank 24 teeth
'08&'09 58 teeth same as the late model LS engines.

Power varied a few HP as GM switched to the new SAE standard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool so I need a o6 engine to get a maf and can use my 04 stuff. The reason i asked is because i want to turbo the I6 like most of you. I know first hand you do not need a V8 to make power.My V6 has about 450Hp at the rear tires. I have 12 years of tuning a turbo car. I have a 86 TR. I have it now running with no MAF on a speed density system. Trans pro. But would much like to start with a MAF setup and then work to no MAF. So any one who has been trying this can you send me your thing that work and thing that don't so I don't waist time. I will share everthing I find.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Cool so I need a o6 engine to get a maf and can use my 04 stuff. The reason i asked is because i want to turbo the I6 like most of you. I know first hand you do not need a V8 to make power.My V6 has about 450Hp at the rear tires. I have 12 years of tuning a turbo car. I have a 86 TR. I have it now running with no MAF on a speed density system. Trans pro. But would much like to start with a MAF setup and then work to no MAF. So any one who has been trying this can you send me your thing that work and thing that don't so I don't waist time. I will share everthing I find.
Sorry man, but thats not the problem. You can swap in an 06 motor to any 02-05 and get the nice power bump the revised engine gives BUT you still have to use the 02-05 P10 PCM to run it. You cannot run an 06 I6 with an 06 P12 PCM in an 02-05 TB with the P10 because the BCM will not talk to the P12. If you want to try it please do, Im only going off of what Ive been told but I dont have the money to buy a P12, repinn my P10 harness and see if it works. Please prove me wrong, then the 02-05 guys would be able to boost their rides!

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
I emailed the guy who did the '05 turbo install earlier this year and it WORKS - so he used the info Erik supplied changed the MAP sensor then rescaled the MAP table.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I'm new to this so bare with me what do you mean by P10 and P12? You lost me on that. So when Gm put the new engine into the 05 in the middle of production it still used the old hardware???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts