Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like a dumb question to me, but I would like some direction if possible.

I have a non-Bose stereo. I have the entertainment/DVD system. The original window sticker says "6 speakers". I have 2 grills on the top of the dashboard, and speaker grills on all 4 doors. So, I am assuming I have 6 speakers.

I have to replace most, if not all of the speakers, since I hear sound out of only the rear passenger one.

When I investigate speakers online (ex: Crutchfield), I only see speakers for front and rear.

How can I find out exactly how many, and what type I have, and therefore, what I need to buy?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
122 Posts
Sometimes GM counts a 2 way speaker as 2 speakers. I don't know if that's the case with your tb. Can you see speakers that are in the dash? My 02 didn't have any.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes GM counts a 2 way speaker as 2 speakers. I don't know if that's the case with your tb. Can you see speakers that are in the dash? My 02 didn't have any.
If I am seeing correctly, I would say my dashboard has grills for speakers, but there aren't any in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine was the same. Only 4 speakers. One in each door. Not very good speakers either. LOL

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine was the same. Only 4 speakers. One in each door. Not very good speakers either. LOL
Thank-you. At least now I can proceed to buy new speakers - just 2 pair.

Did you notice if one or both of the pairs were tweeter/woofer combos? Could GMC have counted the tweeters as separate speakers?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Intermittent Speakers

04 Envoy XL, Non-Bose, with DVD and OnStar.

Murphy is working full time in this vehicle. I reported previously that I bought this vehicle a month ago. I have heard sound only out of the rear passenger speaker,

Yesterday I bit the bullet and clicked "submit" on an order for 2 pairs of 6-3/4" coaxial speakers.

Wouldn't you know it, on the way home, the front driver side speaker came to life. I adjusted the fader and balance to verify. I was hearing sound out of the front driver, and rear passenger speakers.

This morning, it was back to its previous behavior: no sound out of the front driver speaker.

Has anyone had this experience? I know the stock speakers are not good, and $100 is not a lot of money to replace them all.

But, based on these symptoms, what can I do to track this down?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another Question - Speaker Replacement

04 Envoy XL, Non-Bose, with DVD and OnStar

When I remove the front door panels, am I going to find 2 separate speakers (woofer/mid, and a tweeter) mounted in the tear-drop shaped cone assembly?

Do I mount the new coaxial in place of the woofer, and leave the original tweeter, but disconnect it?

I know I will figure it out when I get in there. I just want to know what others have seen and done.

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's just a speaker. Pull it out and put new one in. Did you get the speaker connectors?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts