Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the main power steering lines to the rack, along with a new pump as an old line developed a leak. Since that time, I have struggled getting the new lines to properly seal at the rack. I used new seals and then after the leak, had a local shop try twice now and still am getting a significant leak. A local dealership stated that they would suspect it might need a new rack in order to get them to seal up (seemed pretty confident that it would be the case). Estimate for them to do it at close to $1000. Another dealership said to do the seals, they estimate on the high side of up to 3 hours at $120/hr. I see that a rack would run me around $450 with seals if I were to purchase one. I see that these seals have been a significant issue for others. I would love to get some opinions as to what someone with experience on these would do at this point. I believe that I could replace the rack, but I am concerned as to whether this will address the "sealing" issue. I think an advantage to having the rack out is that the seals can be set in the rack more easily as they are super hard to see/get to once the rack is in. Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,040 Posts
My first question is are you sure you got the old seals out? Also, did you get the proper seal for the hose? I ask because there are two types of hoses - original design and "updated" design and they use different seals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I believe so, but that is a good question. The placement of the ports is very difficult to see and very little space to work. Since it will require taking the lines off again, I will try to use a mirror to get a better look at them, as well as looking at the port for any imperfections that would affect it sealing up. I see that others have taken off the CV joint to have better access to install the lines, so I might be doing that. My old and new lines use the cup seals. Thinking I may have been better off using the updated design. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,040 Posts
When I replaced my lines I purchased the ones that used the cup seals. By the way, I purchased the Gates hoses.

I did not have to remove the CV shaft, but I did remove the tire, and if I recall correctly, I turned the steering wheel as far to the right as I could while the front end was on jack stands.

I really did not have that bad of a time (relatively speaking) getting the hoses to go into the mating block on the steering rack. What really helped me was the use of a couple of long 1/4" extensions and 1/4" u-joints. That gave me enough room such that I could use one hand to sort of hold the ps lines and guide things into the mating block while the other hand operated the ratchet to tighten things down. Using the 1/4" extensions I was able to use a torque wrench to tighten the bolt to what the factory service manual specified.

The only other thing I would add is to make sure the mating surfaces are clean (which is a task and a half in and of itself).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts