Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a noise that has developed when turning, but not until close to the max turn in either direction. I checked under the car and the sound is not below. Checking the top, it sounds to be from the belt area, closer to the steering pump. The sound seems to be almost a metal clicking sound. Wondering if this could be a steering pump issue or even a tensioner. Fluid is good and pump is maybe a year old. Thoughts? Might be able to post a video tonight. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,647 Posts
The pump has no idea where you are pointing the wheels and usually only complains by lifting the pressure relief valve when you try to push it to the Max+.

If you're not moving the vehicle and your foot is on the brake --- it takes a LOT of hydraulic pressure from the pump to overcome the need to drag non-rotating tires across the pavement.

So --- this means that you may be misreading the noise --- or not .

Any "clicking" at the pump is usually the belt skipping a little bit and that may be from a few-but-related problems which really aren't problems at all.

1. You could have a belt tensioner that is starting to get weaker than it should and you can test that tension with a belt/tension gauge.
But I bet you don't have one of those so we have to find an alternate way of kinda-sortta testing the belt to see if it has the correct tension.
a, You do that by twisting the belt as it sits between the fan drive and any other place you can actually get your hands in to --- with the engine OFF {I gotta post that to make sure someone doesn't try that test with the engine running).​
b. Then twist the belt to see if it can be twisted 90° from normal flat running position.​
c. IF it is easy to twist (think: "less than Superman but more than Sponge Bob") can twist the belt --- the tensioner is suspect.​
2. The belt itself may be losing a cord and it is flapping in the breeze until it gets to anything that demands it provide maximum adhesion by friction, to the device that the belt drives (ergo: the power steering punp is one of those things).
3. The pump should NOT be in this equation --- but let's advance another theory .......

Suppose the pump is the real noisemaker ..... well --- they don't usually click and therefor it may have a bad roller inside, rolling on the cam plate. It happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you much for the response. So after spending some more time searching for the source and with an extra set of eyes, we found the it. I had replaced the power steering lines a while back (common issue with these) and we were unable to get a small center bracket for the lines re-attached near the bottom center. The bracket was still on the lines and had spun around some placing it near the lower part of the fan. When turning, the lines moved slightly and put the bracket to where it barely touched the fan causing a slight noise as mentioned. Could not really tell from underneath when looking but was able to see the small movement in the lines when turning the wheel, from above. Those sounds travel some. That is now corrected.

I am taking your advice on checking the tensioner as to avoid possible issues there. The belt is newer, but never huts to check things out head of time. Thank you for your time in replying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But your advice was correct as I was "misreading the noise." Likely why I found no similar issue using the search option. Appreciated response just the same!

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,647 Posts
I forgot to include the high voltage discharge ala: a Van deGraaf Generator effect. Sometimes you can actually see the high voltage spark jump off the belt!

I have seen huge sparks from the belt as it's electrical discharges were jumping around.

Kewl!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts