Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this issue may have been addressed but I am unable to find a fix in the forums I have read so far. My issue while similar seems to be unique and unanswered at this time. I will list the issue development and the steps I have taken so far below. Sorry if this is too long but hoping the more info I can give the quicker the solution. I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer
1.) my a/c compressor was hadn't been working and then the bearing started to go out so I had it and the hoses removed and a bypass bracket put on
2.) my driver’s side low beam headlight went out, I replaced it with a new one
3.) a few weeks later my alternator began failing and I bought a new one and installed it myself(easy to do with the A/C hoses out of the way!) I did remove the battery cable and was cautious putting it all back together. All was working OK except the charging gauge, the servo was messed up causing the gauge to peg out and go all the way around. Checked the output and all is good, not concerned about the gauge.....for now.
4.) a few days later driving in to work my headlights were on auto, high beam approaching a sharp curve, met another car and switched to my low beams and the road went black! Dash lights were on but no headlights at all.
5.) Drove in to work with my brights on all the way pissing off drivers left and right. got to work(approx a 20 min drive) and low beams still not working on auto. Switched to manual and still no low beams, high beams working fine. Opened my hood and was checking to make sure fuses were seated well and then grabbed the main wire harness coming off the bottom of my fuse box and the low beams came back on
6.) took it to a local service station, they didn't get to it until the next day and it wouldn't repeat the issue
7.) have been driving it since and every morning on the way to work the low beams quit working at some point....maybe 5 minutes down the road maybe 20 minutes ....but they go out. I have tried the wiggling of the fuse box harness several times and that doesn’t help now. I have switched out the SS relays #45 and #46 with no resolution; I have replaced the low beam 10 amp fuses.....no help.
Any suggestions? Headlight switch? Ambient sensor? SS relay? Turn signal/dimmer switch?
I am not sure what to do next. I hate to spend $40+ on a solid state relay when swapping out the existing ones made no difference and I truly don’t think it is in my headlight switch which is another $50 and the dimmer switch on the column seems to be working properly. My mechanic seems to think it could be a glitch in the computer (ECM, PCM, etc) but I don't know. It just seems like something is overheating at some point and poof it goes off. After the car sets for several hours or overnight they work just fine.....for a while. And help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,497 Posts
Based on the fact that moving the wire harness going to the fuse box brought the low beams on again, I would take the fuse box off its mount and inspect the underside. There could be a broken wire or a circuit trace that is intermittent. If you are not comfortable doing that, have your mechanic do it.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
83 Posts
I think your issue has is related to relay 46. If you have switched the relay 45 and 46, you may need to verify 45 is good as well. 45 is for the fan clutch. The other issue may be a corroded or loose wire with 46.

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
977 Posts
Product Safety Recall
14291 Low Beam Headlamps and Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
Could Fail To Illuminate
Copyright 2016 General Motors. All Rights Reserved. Page 1 of 5
Reference Number: N140291 Release Date: May 2016
GWM Number: 140291 Revision: 00
Attention: It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor
vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or
noncompliance is remedied.

Involved vehicles are marked “open” on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management
system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections
and/or repairs.
Condition General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2005 –
2009 model year Buick LaCrosse (Allure) vehicles; certain 2006 – 2008 Saab 9-7x vehicles; certain
2006 – 2007 Buick Rainier, Chevrolet Trailblazer and GMC Envoy vehicles; certain 2007 Pontiac
Grand Prix vehicles and certain 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Ext and GMC Envoy XL vehicles. The
headlamp driver module (HDM) may not operate properly in the thermal environment of the underhood
electrical center. If the HDM is not operating correctly, the low-beam headlamps and daytime running
lamps could fail to illuminate. This failure could be intermittent or permanent. This condition does not
affect the high-beam headlamps, marker lamps, turn signals, or fog lamps. Loss of low-beam
headlamps, when they are required, could reduce the driver’s visibility, increasing the risk of a crash.
Correction Dealers are to replace the headlamp driver module.
Parts
Quantity Part Name Part No.
1 Headlamp Driver Module (HDM) 13506836

9101122 Install Headlight Driver Module (HDM) 0.3 ZFAT N/A
9101195 Customer Reimbursement Approved 0.2 ZFAT *
9101196 Customer Reimbursement Denied – For USA dealers only 0.1 ZFAT N/A
Note: To avoid having to “H” route the customer reimbursement transaction for approval, it must be submitted prior to the
repair transaction.
* The amount identified in “Net Item” should represent the dollar amount reimbursed to the customer.
Make Model
Model Year
From To
Buick Allure (Canada) 2005 2009
Buick LaCrosse 2005 2009
Buick Rainer 2006 2007
Chevrolet Trailblazer 2006 2007
Chevrolet Trailblazer Ext 2006 2006
GMC Envoy 2006 2007
GMC Envoy XL 2006 2006
Pontiac Grand Prix 2007 2007
Saab 9-7x 2006 2008
Product Safety Recall
Could Fail To Illuminate
Page 2 of 5
Service Procedure
1. Locate the Headlamp Driver Module (HDM) in the under hood fuse block. Refer to Electrical Center Identification
Views in SI.
2. Replace the HDM. Refer to Relay Replacement (Within an Electrical Center) in SI.
Dealer Responsibility – For USA and Export (USA States, Territories, and Possessions)
It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle
equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is
remedied.
The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type
must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair
within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the
condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably
equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To
avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment
with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told
how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable
time.
Dealer Responsibility – All
All new, used, GM Certified Used, courtesy transportation vehicles, dealer shuttle vehicles, etc. in dealers' possession
and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this bulletin before customers
take possession of these vehicles. Involved vehicles must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer-traded,
released to auction, used for demonstration, or any other purpose.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer
information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the
required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this
bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the
customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in
the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing
the vehicle.
Dealer Reports
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles has been prepared and will be provided to U.S. and
Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. The listing may
contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor
vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in
several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to
complete this recall.

Could Fail To Illuminate
Page 3 of 5
Customer Reimbursement
Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs for the recall condition are to be submitted to the dealer
by May 31, 2017, unless otherwise specified by state law. If this is not convenient for the customer, the customer may
mail the completed Customer Reimbursement Request Form and all required documents to the GM Customer Assistance
Center.
See General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual, Section 6.1.11 – Product Field Action Customer
Reimbursement Procedure (USA & Canada) or local Policies and Procedures, for details.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of
conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained
technicians have the tools, equipment, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT
assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your dealer for information on whether your
vehicle may benefit from the information.
We Support
Voluntary Technician
Certification
Product Safety Recall
Could Fail To Illuminate
Page 4 of 5
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
May 2016
This notice applies to your vehicle, VIN: _____________________________________
Dear General Motors Customer:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2005 – 2009 model
year Buick LaCrosse (Allure) vehicles; certain 2006 – 2008 Saab 9-7x vehicles; certain 2006 – 2007 Buick Rainier,
Chevrolet Trailblazer and GMC Envoy vehicles; certain 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles and certain 2006 Chevrolet
Trailblazer Ext and GMC Envoy XL vehicles. As a result, GM is conducting a safety recall. We apologize for this
inconvenience. However, we are concerned about your safety and continued satisfaction with our products.
I M P O R T A N T
 Your vehicle is involved in GM safety recall 14291.
 Schedule an appointment with your GM dealer.
 This service will be performed for you at no charge.
Why is your vehicle
being recalled?
The headlamp driver module (HDM) may not operate properly in the thermal
environment of the underhood electrical center. If the HDM is not operating correctly,
the low-beam headlamps and daytime running lamps could fail to illuminate. This
failure could be intermittent or permanent. This condition does not affect the highbeam
headlamps, marker lamps, turn signals, or fog lamps. Loss of low-beam
headlamps, when they are required, could reduce the driver’s visibility, increasing the
risk of a crash.
What will we do? Your GM dealer will replace the headlamp driver module (HDM) with a new design
HDM. This service will be performed for you at no charge. Because of service
scheduling requirements, it is likely that your dealer will need your vehicle longer than
the actual service correction time of approximately 25 minutes.
What should you
do?
You should contact your GM dealer to arrange a service appointment as soon as
possible.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resolved

Thank you for all that posted in response to my query. It WAS the relay that was bad! I ordered a new GM replacement, swapped it out and have been driving now for 2 weeks with no issue. cheapest of the fixes too!

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts