Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this up yesterday and found out why it was sold.

03 trailblazer, 110k miles, no check engine lights or service lights on, 4x4 engages, even the front diff is spinning when i check it through the fill hole, as is the drive shaft from the transfer case. Both front axles will not move and are making a light grinding sound.

I put it in AWD - 4H - 4L, same issue no matter what. Those axles will not spin. Put it in neutral, they spin fine, as soon as you go into gear, they are frozen. And its just the cv axles.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,245 Posts
Not sure what you mean "they are frozen"

Usually when the front drive does not work, but there is no Service 4WD light on, most likely is that the front disconnect is not working. If it's actuator was not working, the 4WD selector switch light would be blinking in 4H or 4L.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes thats what we are thinking as well. I want to unplug it tomorrow and see if that grinding goes away. Probably a weak front disconnect actuator thats not fully engaging and just grinding a little gearing when I try it.

No blinking when its in 4h-4l, awd, nothing like that.

while i am at it, whats the most reliable brand/part store to buy replacements? Don't tell me autozone, i dont even buy air fresheners from that crap hole.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,245 Posts
I doubt its the actuator, more likely the disconnect is breaking apart. They are notorious for going dry.

I usually by on-line, look at Rock Auto or GM Parts Direct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts