Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all :)

My wife's Trailblazer check engine light came on the other day, so I pulled out my HP Tuner and dusted it off.
Found that it's getting a C0281 code, Brake Switch Circuit.

Couldn't find a whole lot after searching. :(

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,497 Posts
1st...Welcome to the forum

2nd...Under User CP, click "edit profile" and fill out some info for us :yes:

3rd...C0281 (The EBCM detects an open or shorted brake switch or brake switch circuit.) will not turn the check engine light on; you have more problems :worried: You should have a powertrain code stored (PXXXX)

As for the C0281 code, the brake switch is under the left (drivers) side dash; you'll see a pushrod (from the brake pedal) conneced to it (along with the electrical connector)

Make sure the wires going to it are not open, spliced or shorted...if you don't see anything, you may have a bad switch or a problem with the control module/wiresthat you can't see :undecided

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st...Welcome to the forum

2nd...Under User CP, click "edit profile" and fill out some info for us :yes:

3rd...C0281 (The EBCM detects an open or shorted brake switch or brake switch circuit.) will not turn the check engine light on; you have more problems :worried: You should have a powertrain code stored (PXXXX)

As for the C0281 code, the brake switch is under the left (drivers) side dash; you'll see a pushrod (from the brake pedal) conneced to it (along with the electrical connector)

Make sure the wires going to it are not open, spliced or shorted...if you don't see anything, you may have a bad switch or a problem with the control module/wiresthat you can't see :undecided
Thanks for the welcome :D

Your right, there was another code. It was P0440 - Evaporative Emission [EVAP] System (SES) (OLD) (HISTORY) (CURRENT) (IMMATURE)

I kind of pass on this one at first of being the culprit because it said it was old and when I looked up that code it stated that this can be set due to LTFTs being 20+ for more than 6+ seconds.
But now that I look at it close I see the (SES) which would make sense that it set off the check engine light.

I cleared the codes and the only one that wouldn't go away was the C0281. I don't think the light has came back on yet, it's been about 2 days now.

Thanks for your help.

Any though on the P0440 code? Truck seems to run fine. :undecided

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,497 Posts
C0281: check the wires as I mentioned before; if no issues,you may need a new brake switch

P0440: some GM info...

Some customers may comment about a Check Engine light with a P0440 series DTC indicating that an evaporative emission leak has been detected. General Motors has found that a very high percentage of these DTCs are caused by the gas cap not being completely tightened after a fuel fill. There is no known issue with gas cap retention. Therefore, please ensure that the gas cap is tight. Instruct the customer that this issue may have been caused by the cap not being tightened after the last fill up. To make sure the gas cap is secured completely, you must hear at least 3 clicks.

Further...I find that ths is a very common code if you use a full service gas station to refuel :yes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C0281: check the wires as I mentioned before; if no issues,you may need a new brake switch

P0440: some GM info...

Further...I find that ths is a very common code if you use a full service gas station to refuel :yes:
Yup, I'll check the wires.

Thanks again for the additional info on the gas cap. :yes:
I know the wife doesn't go to full service stations so I'll have to tell her to make sure the cap is on tight and watch to see if the code comes back.

:thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts